banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Game Improvement' - Better vs. Worse Guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Game Improvement' - Better vs. Worse Guitar?

With an aim toward improvement of one's playing quality, what would you prefer: A better guitar that lets you pull any lick off with greater ease? Or a poorer quality guitar that makes you fight for it?

Lately I find myself grabbing my cheapest guitar, an old Yamaha RGZ. For a variety of reasons there is some challenge to this- the guitar has quite weak treble response, so I really feel the need to hit it hard and in the right places for it to sing. The overall action is pretty low and the neck feels nice, however the nut is cut a bit high. The pickups tend toward a bit of mush, so I make real effort to play very clean/spare to get around that.

On the other hand I have a few guitars I can pick up and feel shocked at how riffs and notes just erupt out without thought. No question what I want to record with or which feels/sounds better, but I feel like if I only grabbed my 'good' guitars for casual picking etc. I'd lose some of what I gain playing the old Yamaha, and a couple other cheap-ish guitars I keep around.

Then again, maybe I'd be more inspired to play/practice riffs and solos with greater difficulty if I always stuck with my US Strat or G&L. Anyone have a stance?
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Re: 'Game Improvement' - Better vs. Worse Guitar?

Both.

Something slick, low action, lovely neck, to see results in play.

And something with fairly nasty action to give your fingers their requisite whoopin.... and a bass with fat strings. Varying it up really builds some hard flat fingertip callouses.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Hard playing guitars are not necessarily better to develop your playing. You may develop “skills” that are only relevant to that particular guitar so be careful

Comment

A Lambo v Yugo... Hmm... That's a tough one.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by shupe13 View Post
          A Lambo v Yugo... Hmm... That's a tough one.
          it depends on the Jugo

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
            Hard playing guitars are not necessarily better to develop your playing. You may develop “skills” that are only relevant to that particular guitar so be careful
            my teacher told me (some 30 yrs ago) : heavier gauge strings will help development, but really high action maybe not so much.

Comment

I absolutely want a guitar that plays easier. I keep all of my guitars in tip top playing condition.
              Why would I want to pick up a guitar that I struggle to play?
              The guitar is a difficult enough instrument to play never mind intentionally playing one that is more physically demanding than it needs to be.

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
                it depends on the Jugo

I’d rather drive a Camry than that ^^^^
                Lol

Comment

On the other hand- It's often suggested to play acoustic if you want to improve your skill, and that is definitely not the easiest route (as a matter of fact I really hate playing acoustic.

Granted- This Yamaha doesn't even have that high action or thick strings, for the most part it's whatever mechanical limitations that make it sound sort of wimpy, that make me play hard through it (and as stated, could use some nut tweaks.) Also: a Lamborghini is terrible in traffic/everyday use, hard to park, beyond the limits of most roads and the skill of most drivers. It's sometimes repeated, 'better to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow,' and typically it is easier for a new driver to get accustomed to a less powerful car. Obviously a more expensive guitar can't spin and kill you during a failed burnout, but on the other hand- plenty of beginners master cheap guitars before getting something better (unless they're gear whores like us I guess,) and there's something to be said to being adapted to anything you might wind up having to play.

I'm not new to playing and can sound good within the bounds of what I know, but humble enough to know players who could totally school me on my own $40 Yamaha. So I'm not playing on the edge of my US Stratocaster's limits either. Good points made so far on playing the better axe when it is available; on the flip-side when I'm going through periods of playing my better guitars above my cheap ones, I sometimes pick up the Yamaha and think 'Man. If I got handed this thing at a party, I would be totally embarrassed at how **** I sound right now.'
                  Last edited by Silence Kid; 09-11-2018, 07:40 AM.
                  Originally posted by King Buzzo
                  I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                    I’d rather drive a Camry than that ^^^^
                    Lol
                    That's much cooler than any Lambo
                    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

To the question: I prefer to play whichever sounds better to me.

I've wanted to buy a better acoustic for years, as the one I have is really struggle to play. But none I've tried haven't yet sounded better, so I haven't.
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
                        It's often suggested to play acoustic if you want to improve your skill, and that is definitely not the easiest route . . .
                        I gotta admit, I'm glad I learned to play barre chords on a cheap acoustic. When I first picked up an electric, I was like, wow, these are easy.

Comment

Well, I ain't fighting my guitar. I want something that is as easy to play and ergonomically correct (for me) as possible. It is a tool, and I am not fighting the tool to do a job. I will just get a better tool that works better for me.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                            This was my first thought. I have a guitar that I fight with as well, but I never felt like doing so made me any better at playing any other guitar.
                            Originally posted by Rockstar216
                            Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

100% hands down, better guitar I can play easier. Most of my life was spent with budget guitars of varying degrees of quality, setting them up as best as possible, but never having anything that was really great. Since I got my 80's USA Strat, I have zero desire to play any junk.

However, that doesn't mean 8s laying on the frets. I like 10s or 11s set fairly high so I can play hard and use the same guitar for slide. Believe it or not, I find a "harder" setup easier to play and a lot more forgiving.
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                              X