Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with bridges for new strat build

Hi all,

I've bought a Squier Bullet hardtail strat body (I didn't realise it was a Bullet until after ordering) and I'm looking to buy a reliable bridge for it. I have measurements of the old bridge:

Click image for larger version

Name:	sketch-1536795724403.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	5849134

This mounting screw hole spacing seems to be really uncommon among aftermarket bridges. The Gotoh hardtail strat bridge is close, but not quite exactly right.

Can anyone help me out? How far off can the bridge specs be from the guitar's screw hole dimensions - 0.5mm? 1mm? 2mm?

If I were to use a bridge where the screws go under the saddles, how far do the new holes need to be from the existing holes? The screw spacing on the guitar is approx 67mm - if I were to use a bridge with the outside screws 50mm apart, would there be enough wood in between to be structurally sound?

Thanks in advance, been scratching my head over this for days.

Re: Need help with bridges for new strat build

All mounting screws need to be exact. The whole string tension is held by the bite of the threads into wood. If you cannot find the right dimensions then you might have to consider another body or dowelling and redrilling.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
      All mounting screws need to be exact. The whole string tension is held by the bite of the threads into wood. If you cannot find the right dimensions then you might have to consider another body or dowelling and redrilling.
      Thanks AlexR. I can reuse the center hole with a 3-screw hipshot bridge no worries, but I will have to drill new holes for the two outer screws. The new holes will be 0.4225in away from the existing holes. Do you think dowelling of the existing holes will be required?

Cheers

Comment

If you are drilling only slightly off, then the drill will not only want to slide into the existing hole, but half of the threads will be blown out and therefore useless. Also the screw will want to angle sidewards as well.

If you have the new hole fully isolated it should be fine.

Is it a toploading bridge?? If the strings go through the body then string spacing is another thing to look out for.
        Last edited by AlexR; 09-13-2018, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
          If you are drilling only slightly off, then the drill will not only want to slide into the existing hole, but half of the threads will be blown out and therefore useless. Also the screw will want to angle sidewards as well.

If you have the new hole fully isolated it should be fine.

Is it a toploading bridge?? If the strings go through the body then string spacing is another thing to look out for.
          Thanks for the advice!

I haven't yet selected any bridge and the guitar had a top-load bridge before, so no string through holes are drilled yet.

Comment

Working...
          X