Any fans of the Jimmy Page wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any fans of the Jimmy Page wiring?

One thing I've always held in upmost importance when coming up with a guitar wiring scheme is ease of use, being able to get to any tone that I need from my guitar with at most two motions from my right hand.

I recently decided out to try out JP wiring on an SG o' mine with a Black Winter set just for the heck of it, and I was actually pretty surprised. I was expecting to spend a half an hour trying to dial in the perfect setting on the near infinite settings this thing has, but I did not. I fiddled around for a couple minutes just to see what all was possible with it, and all I did was split the neck and put the middle position series and out of phase.

Not once for the entire rehearsal did I feel the need to mess with anything other than the pickup selector. This wiring is scheme is very versatile, but it's also got a "set and forget" nature to it. Anybody else try JP wiring and what are your thoughts on it?
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: Any fans of the Jimmy Page wiring?

I prefer to wire the few positions I use to 1 switch, and that's it. I don't use that many sounds, though.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I find most of them redundant. I went for a lot of option in the first few guitars, and then never used them or found them pretty bad. The JP wiring has several issues with the nature of the series wiring - you have to disengage it before selecting some other options.

Comment

My EGC had it installed when i bought it. It's not something i use often but it's cool for changing your sound when you're plugged straight into an amp and it's just you and the instrument. I don't want it on any of my other 2-humbucker 4-knob guitars...
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I have triple shot rings on two guitars

One with a five way super switch, that's my RG2
          One with a 3 position toggle, that's my Ehdwuld

There are options s on the RG2 that sound like Tele, Strat, LP
          The Ehdwuld doesn't have the out of phase so so it just isn't as versatile

Of the forty some odd options on the RG , I only use 2 or three sounds
          Same with the Ehdwuld

With that said I have another set of JB/JAZZ with Triple shot rings waiting to go in my Gibson Custom Studio
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Like AlexR and Mincer, I find most of the sounds redundant and prefer to have a few of my favourites wired to the pickup selector (a 5-way megaswitch on a strat).

Comment

I for the most part agree that a good guitar only has one or possibly two switches, but given I don't touch the push pulls all that much, it might as well be a bunch of dip switches on the inside of the guitar.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

I prefer pups parallel to self as opposed to splits to keep hum rejection and the sound is a little more complex.

Otherwise, I love this mod and it's one of the mods we do the most. For a long time I always used series with oop for the strong cutting sound, but a few years ago, did a build where oop by itself was was a really useful tone.

On heavy fat LPs, the only mod I like better is a bass cut switch to get more articulate rhythm tones and series on those LPs can be overkill, so have done a few where we flipped those 2.

Of course, a lot depends on the individual guitar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
                What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

I run mine the same as the OP 75% of the time. The main advantage for me is i can get a tone i like on any amp at any time if i need a little different flavor. Mostly switching back and forth from thin to fat tones and coloring the OOP sound just make it fun for me.

I'll put the JPP harness in every lp from here out unless it's a reissue.

Comment

See, parallel only works for me if the pickups are pretty high output. Problem is, then I don't like the way they sound normally in series...or, I should say, I don't like how they respond.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I only like it with Fluence pickups. they are designed from the bottom up to have great tones in every setting. Only a parallel setting isn't available but you've got on the modern for example, two voicings, coil split per voicing and a gain boost. I'm good...

Comment

Originally posted by Thundermtn View Post
                        I run mine the same as the OP 75% of the time. The main advantage for me is i can get a tone i like on any amp at any time if i need a little different flavor. Mostly switching back and forth from thin to fat tones and coloring the OOP sound just make it fun for me.

I'll put the JPP harness in every lp from here out unless it's a reissue.
                        JP wiring truly makes for a great studio instrument, when you have the time to fiddle around with the knobs. Trying to dial in the perfect tones between songs on stage? Not so much.

Comment

JP wiring one of the best mods ever did...taught me very quickly that Neck and Bridge selection on std wiring are by far the most useful...the rest are interesting but not really anything useful for my stuff...so, in the end avoided going thru an iterative process of trying 20 odd different wiring mods...

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                            JP wiring truly makes for a great studio instrument, when you have the time to fiddle around with the knobs. Trying to dial in the perfect tones between songs on stage? Not so much.
                            I think this depends on the individual... I have wiring that I regularly use live that is much much more complex...

In fact, for me the "ease of view" of JP is one of its stronger suits... Its realy easy to see which pots are up or down when I'm thinking about my next shift. As a result, I am far more likely to push or pull than turn a knob on a LP that has JP.

Also, this is one of the few mods that I try to wire the same every time, so series or oop is always in the same place... As a result most changes are auto pilot... Need more umph in the solo so series is on or need clean articulate, so parallel the pup.

So some of this is how much do you want to change on the fly?

Also, my only gripe with JP is that the series+oop requires 2 pulls and that is the combo that I tend to use the most.

On the other hand, sometimes i just have to stop fiddling around and play the part, so I totally get your point

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
                            What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

For Strat players the Fender Elite has their own JP wiring thing...they us the S1 switch to accomplish it...same deal for me as JP wiring...interesting stuff but bridge and neck still most useful for my stuff...

Comment

Working...
                              X