No announcement yet.

First strat build...Callahan tremolo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First strat build...Callahan tremolo?

All steel.....well with some guitars...ping ping and more nasty ping...throw on some of those dratted steel frets and it is all...auch!

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
      All steel.....well with some guitars...ping ping and more nasty ping...throw on some of those dratted steel frets and it is all...auch!
      Not been my experience with all steel at all. In fact, I noticed a significant improvement in the Bell-like Chime with the Gotoh Steel than the cheap MIM original tremolo. And Stainless Steel Frets don't make nasty ping on any of my guitars (all but one has them.)

Not in anyway negating your experience–just saying in all of my experiences with Steel it hasn't had nasty pings. And in full disclosure, I really like Brass Saddles and Nuts on some of my guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
        Do you want a steel bridge? Some people like brass bridges. Steel is very bright. Not the best for some guitars.

One is not better. It’s Apples and Oranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Well sure I wanted steel. Like the old ones. My rig (old-school) handles the brightness easily.

That inimitable Strat "crash & crang" is there in spades.

This is the Callaham hardware and Callaham H/SRV equipped strat straight into my cranked '66 Fender Deluxe:

Last edited by LLL; 09-28-2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
          Not been my experience with all steel at all. In fact, I noticed a significant improvement in the Bell-like Chime with the Gotoh Steel than the cheap MIM original tremolo. And Stainless Steel Frets don't make nasty ping on any of my guitars (all but one has them.)

Not in anyway negating your experience–just saying in all of my experiences with Steel it hasn't had nasty pings. And in full disclosure, I really like Brass Saddles and Nuts on some of my guitars.
          As I wrote...with some guitars....
          Personally I do not like steel everywhere.....

Frets I prefer oldschool, I don't wear them much either as I do not press very hard on my strings....
          Plus when I do need to dress them up...don't wanna take all day about it...dratted things are too hard.
          I like good steel where the wear is hard, like the plate and saddles, vibrato screws and such...I like the sound of zinc blocks or something that is soft...I prefer that softer sound as I like my amps clear and such.

Comment

Speaking of "nasty pings" and other unpleasantness... those smooth "sintered" block-shaped bridge pieces that were standard on the Am Std strat 2 holers for a long time... those things had the nastiest harsh treble.

Naturally I replaced them with a Callaham retrofit kit (saddles, block and arm). Nasty treble gone!

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
              Speaking of "nasty pings" and other unpleasantness... those smooth "sintered" block-shaped bridge pieces that were standard on the Am Std strat 2 holers for a long time... those things had the nastiest harsh treble.

Naturally I replaced them with a Callaham retrofit kit (saddles, block and arm). Nasty treble gone!
              That crap was sintered?

No wonder then. Nothing sintered was ever good
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

About Gotoh...have had guitars with their old 101 vintage bridge....30 years plus of usage...well they still works nicely...
                Like the Japanese don't know how to make steel?? Ehehe

Comment

Working...
                X