Super Tele

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Tele

I recently build something like a superstrat. Not the 80s super distortion type, something different.

Now I'm thinking of building a 'super' tele. Here is the plan, so far:
    A standard tele out of a kit, Basswood body, maple neck with rosewood fretboard. I'd love to wind the pickups for this guitar myself, but it will take a lot of time to get to my desired quality.

Filter'tron style pickup in the bridge.
    Dan Electro style lipstick pickup in the middle, perhaps slanted.
    two strat style neck pickups at the neck, togheter like a humbucker. They should be similar but with different magnets, I think Alnico 3 and 5.

The idea is to have a blend pot for the neck pickups, to have some nice and warm tonal options. Then, probably, a three way switch for the neck and middle pickups. Maybe a four way to differ between series and parallel.

The bridge filter'tron will have it's own mini on-off switch. Then, master volume for the lipstick-strat pickups (250K) and a volume for the tron (1M). At last I was thinking of varitone like tone system. Perhaps I'll get myself a 12 way varitone and attach some different caps. Also, if possible, I'd like to have some bass-cut options on the varitone. I've seen someone use Germanium something (no idea what he did, but it sounded amazing) on his varitone to give his overdriven tone more bite. The possibilities seem endless.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or tips etc. Or is there anyone who thinks this would make an amazing f***ing Tele?

Quinten

Re: Super Tele

Sounds badass, if overly-complicated lol.

Body binding always looks badass on Teles.

Comment

I used to own a "Super-Tele"

The Smack / Valet Arts Custom Shop Ray Benson

Pearly Gates Neck - Push/Pull to split on the volume
      Hot Rails Middle - Push/Pull tone to Split
      Quarter Pund Tele Bridge

5 way blade switch

So...

Bridge QP for a mild to bold Tele tones
      Bridge + Hot Rail for loud + sharp edge
      Bridge + Hot Rail Split for Strat Quack
      Middle Hot Rails for straight rock rhythm
      Hot rails split for Strat middle tone
      PG + Hot rails - I don't know why you'd do that
      PG + Split Hot Rail for a sharp clean edge to the PG neck
      PG Split + Hot Rail split for Strat neck quack
      PG Split for delicate neck tones or
      PG hum bucking for fat gritty blues or jazz or whatever

Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Oops...and a bigass 70s Deluxe/Custom pickguard. I don’t know why I think those look so good, but I love them.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	cssemi_deluxe.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	5809904

This one covers a lot of ground, although when I think of Supertele I think of Don's Wayne Tele!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]92991[/ATTACH]

This one covers a lot of ground, although when I think of Supertele I think of Don's Wayne Tele!
            Classy!

Comment

Originally posted by Quiiiinten View Post
              I recently build something like a superstrat. Not the 80s super distortion type, something different.

Now I'm thinking of building a 'super' tele. Here is the plan, so far:
              A standard tele out of a kit, Basswood body, maple neck with rosewood fretboard. I'd love to wind the pickups for this guitar myself, but it will take a lot of time to get to my desired quality.

Filter'tron style pickup in the bridge.
              Dan Electro style lipstick pickup in the middle, perhaps slanted.
              two strat style neck pickups at the neck, togheter like a humbucker. They should be similar but with different magnets, I think Alnico 3 and 5.

The idea is to have a blend pot for the neck pickups, to have some nice and warm tonal options. Then, probably, a three way switch for the neck and middle pickups. Maybe a four way to differ between series and parallel.

The bridge filter'tron will have it's own mini on-off switch. Then, master volume for the lipstick-strat pickups (250K) and a volume for the tron (1M). At last I was thinking of varitone like tone system. Perhaps I'll get myself a 12 way varitone and attach some different caps. Also, if possible, I'd like to have some bass-cut options on the varitone. I've seen someone use Germanium something (no idea what he did, but it sounded amazing) on his varitone to give his overdriven tone more bite. The possibilities seem endless.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or tips etc. Or is there anyone who thinks this would make an amazing f***ing Tele?

Quinten
              Sounds like your switch layout will never allow the bridge pickup by itself unless you roll the neck/middle volume all the way down, which is not easy/convenient while playing. Just FYI. Also I don’t believe an A3/A5 pair of Strat pickups will sound like a humbucker in the neck. I think they might end up a bit dark/muddy together. If it were me I’d just choose one of them I liked most or have them on a switch but not bother trying to mix them.

Comment

Yeah I just realised that too. It's still going to take a while because I'm winding the pickups myself. So I still have some time to think about this

The A3/A5 pair is not supposed to be a humbucker. My idea was to have a single cool in the neck, just being able to change which one and mix them. I don't think it would me a great humbucker either, thanks for the advice though. You just gave me some food for thought

Comment

Working...
                X