Installing a Neck Without Damaging Finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a Neck Without Damaging Finish

I never had to think about this before, except this guitar already had a quite tight neck pocket.

Any strategies on getting the neck in the pocket without nicking or cracking the finish in the body surrounding it? I masked off the neck pocket while spraying, and plan on sanding on the edges a bit, but don't want to overdo sanding.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Re: Installing a Neck Without Damaging Finish

First of all, did you dry fit the neck in the pocket before you finished it?
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

line it up and push it straight down into place. If it flexes too much and freaks you out then sand it back a little. And try again. Rinse & repeat.

I tried to slide it in one time and watched my brand new perfect nitro finish chip off at the neck. Instant relic job (and heartbreaking)

Comment

Yep the neck was on the guitar for years.

So straight from the top down, rather than sliding it toward the bridge?
        Last edited by Silence Kid; 10-03-2018, 09:59 AM.
        Originally posted by King Buzzo
        I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Top down
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Candle wax on the neck pocket
            https://www.facebook.com/ChaozGuitars

Comment

Working...
            X