NGD.... my first Gibby Explorer!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD.... my first Gibby Explorer!!!

In my 35 years of playing and owning close to maybe 200 instruments I've never owned an Explorer. Weird shaped, weird feeling guitars generally aren't my thing. Hell... I marry have only played an Explorer once or twice in all these years. But I dig the way they look on Lizzy Hale, Matthias Jabs, the guy from The Killers, and others. They flat-out scream rock & roll the way they look. You can associate Strats, LPs, 335s, and others with country, jazz, and blues. But Explorers, Flying Vs, SGs, and Firebirds mostly suggest rock/metal. Kind of ironic that those are the four models that I haven't owned and rarely played.

I've gigged country, rock, and metal since the 80s. I guess that I've never cared for the way they sit and balance on me. The Explorer balances the best of those four. I can't stand the headstock-heavy balance of the Firebirds, Vs and SGs. The Explorer still feels strange to me, but I think I can get used to it. If not, I can sell it for what I paid for it. It's a recent model that came into my buddy's store used... but still has the plastic on the guard. He had a luthier replace the robo-tuners with locking Grovers and replaced the lead-weighted control cavity cover... as well as giving it a great setup job. I think it might hang around a bit. Just makes me wanna rock. Played through a bunch of Accept, Candlebox, and Gin Blossoms today and felt like it fit well. Wanted to do a bunch of Scorpions, but didn't get to it. I may end up throwing a set of Fralin Pure PAFs or a JB/59 in there... or maybe some DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs. Gonna give the stock pups a few more days first though.
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Re: NGD.... my first Gibby Explorer!!!

Pics?

I have one. I enjoy it immensely.

Shred!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
      Pics?

I have one. I enjoy it immensely.

Shred!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nice looking axe!

Trying to get my pics uploaded to my Imgur account. Once that's done... I'll post em.
      "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

Comment

Here are a few...

Last edited by Red_Label; 10-13-2018, 11:08 PM.

Comment

My gawd... i was gonna say "but surely robotuners wouldn't fit an explorer headstock", then googled it

Looooooooool. Doesn't fit, but that didn't stop em.

....all I can say is GOOD RIDDANCE, glad somebody else sorted that out before you bought it
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
            My gawd... i was gonna say "but surely robotuners wouldn't fit an explorer headstock", then googled it

Looooooooool. Doesn't fit, but that didn't stop em.

....all I can say is GOOD RIDDANCE, glad somebody else sorted that out before you bought it
            Damn... me too! FUGLY!!! Gibson USA... could screw up a wet dream. Well... Henry in this case.

Comment

Great cherry color, love how it looks. That fretboard is so dark it almost looks like ebony. Glad it's a keeper!!
              My Sound Clips

Comment

Congrats!

My first Gibby was an Explorer!!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome looking guitar, long may the two of you have fun!

Comment

Noice!
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

What I wouldn't give to own this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Briggs-Explorer-04.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	5810097
                      Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
                      "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Originally posted by metlking View Post
                        What I wouldn't give to own this!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93303[/ATTACH]
                        Oooh... love it!!! Pelham blue?

Comment

Yesir...Pelham Blue! I've seen it in the $4k range.....not gonna happen but I can dream. May send one off someday to have it painted. That would be much cheaper! Marty Bell Finishes could pull this off.
                          Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
                          "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Beautimus!! Enjoy, brother!!

Comment

If the Explorer is neck heavy, move the front strap button to the back of the body near the neck heel. It's not the original position, but I've never seen a neck-heavy Explorer with the strap button there.

Since more guitar pr0n is always better, here's my Explorer:

Zebra Custom / Jazz set with pull coil split, ebony board, and Sperzel locking tuners.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                              X