Advantages/ Disadvantages of a Neck-thru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantages/ Disadvantages of a Neck-thru

There is an ESP E-II on sale in my area for a pretty good deal. It's a 2013 Horizon, hard-tailed, neck-thru but I am not familiar with this kinda construction.

What are the pluses and minuses? I don't care about anything related to 'tone' let alone 'sustain' cause I think it's nonsense. I am concerned about the practicality of it: truss rod adjustment, susceptibility to warp, crack, etc. Is it similar to set-in?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Advantages/ Disadvantages of a Neck-thru

Yeah it's pretty much like a set neck. Weakness wise, not particularly known for any, and an ESP Japan product is about the least likely guitar have major problems with

How much do they want? Which horizon, the assymetrical longhorn horizon 3 or the cockhead archtop superstrat horizon 2?
    Last edited by Adieu; 10-19-2018, 09:12 AM.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Thanks. Here's the photo of the actual guitar. It's a E-II Horizon NTII in black aqua:

Comment

One huge weakness of net thru is that if the neck breaks the guitar is shot. You can switch bolt on necks really easy, set neck are harder, but can be done. As for a neck thru, if the neck breaks, the whole guitar is broke. Set necks also have better sustain and are way more comfortable one the left hand.
        "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
        Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
        Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
        Jackson dx10d
        DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
        MXR Carbon Copy
        MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

Has ANYONE seen a broken headstock ESP outside of intentional guitar destruction rampage? Actually....has anyone even seen one of those, either??

As to replacement necks from ESP, they're supposedly orderable from em but like 40-50% of MSRP = costs more than an intact used ESP. Probably $1000+ shipped.

And an ESP with a knockoff neck....is no longer an ESP.

So, for all intents and purposes, it really doesnt matter lol

Comment

PS used value of an E-II headstock horizon is a couple hundred dollars lower than an ESP headstock horizon... so $800-900 in USA & Japan, ~$150ish more (=cost of ordering from USA or Japan) everywhere else

Btw, 2013 E-II???? That's kinda weird, should be a transition logo ESP Standard Series or LTD Elite (probably not LTD Elite, that seemed to be on Horizon III's)....could be one of the earliest made I guess, but beware of fakes
            Last edited by Adieu; 10-19-2018, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
              Has ANYONE seen a broken headstock ESP outside of intentional guitar destruction rampage? Actually....has anyone even seen one of those, either??

As to replacement necks from ESP, they're supposedly orderable from em but like 40-50% of MSRP = costs more than an intact used ESP. Probably $1000+ shipped.

And an ESP with a knockoff neck....is no longer an ESP.

So, for all intents and purposes, it really doesnt matter lol
              He asked for the downsides of a neck thru. That is the downside. Bolt ons were invented to solve the neck replacement project. Any yes I have broken a neck. Dropped it and the angled headstock snapped. It was cheaper to slap a new neck on than get the original repaired.
              "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
              Jackson dx10d
              DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
              MXR Carbon Copy

Comment

Curious how set necks are more comfortable? Tough to imagine a guitar more ergonomic as far as left-hand access than my totally heel-less Soloist.
                Originally posted by King Buzzo
                I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Originally posted by PierceOkken View Post
                  He asked for the downsides of a neck thru. That is the downside. Bolt ons were invented to solve the neck replacement project. Any yes I have broken a neck. Dropped it and the angled headstock snapped. It was cheaper to slap a new neck on than get the original repaired.
                  Broken a neck on a japanese esp? Or just in general?

Comment

Btw, 2013 E-II???? That's kinda weird, should be a transition logo ESP Standard Series or LTD Elite (probably not LTD Elite, that seemed to be on Horizon III's)....could be one of the earliest made I guess, but beware of fakes
                    What transition logo are you talking about? I reckon a few years ago ESP expanded its product range, offering ESP USA (MIA) ESP Japan (the highest end of the spectrum) and EII (mid range Japanese made). I can't see any difference besides the brand/ logo. Here's the headstock if it helps:

And the body/ wing joint:

Comment

Carvin/keisel have neck thru necks but they may be way different than an esp

If the neck warps or breaks it could be bad
                      If the fretboard delaminates

If you want to pack it in a suitcase

If you want to smash it on stage

There are several what if scenarios
                      But the lack of a heel is gonna be the biggest upside
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Broken a neck on a japanese esp? Or just in general?
                        Old jackson soloist

Main Gear:
                        Jackson dx10d
                        DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
                        MXR Carbon Copy

Comment

Originally posted by PierceOkken View Post
                          One huge weakness of net thru is that if the neck breaks the guitar is shot. You can switch bolt on necks really easy, set neck are harder, but can be done. As for a neck thru, if the neck breaks, the whole guitar is broke. Set necks also have better sustain and are way more comfortable one the left hand.
                          Set necks have better sustain? I don't know about that...I think neck-thru guitars have better sustain IMHO.

;>)/
                          sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

We're talking about a neck thru guitar here, so there is no such thing as a replacement neck for a neck thru guitar.
                            My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by RorySquier View Post
                              Set necks have better sustain? I don't know about that...I think neck-thru guitars have better sustain IMHO.

;>)/
                              Sorry, that is what I meant

Main Gear:
                              Jackson dx10d
                              DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
                              MXR Carbon Copy

Comment

Working...
                              X