so I got this vibrola....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so I got this vibrola....

is it fair to assume that the best option for tuning stability is a roller bridge?

If so, what is the roller bridge of choice out there? See some good stuff about Wilkinson but would love to hear from others. Thanks!

Re: so I got this vibrola....

Blake - even the cheap Chinese ones I've installed for clients work well. Just be sure to oil the rollers with something like 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil once in a great while. I'd also suggest locking tuners of some kind. How ya doing with that thing?
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Many feel rollers can negatively affect sustain and/or tone, especially the cheap ones. IMO you might be better off trying graphite saddles first.

Not an authoritative statement, just my opinion: as with anything tone-related, YMMV.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

It intrigues me (though I've never tried it) - But I understand some fifties Gibsons in the fifties equipped with a vibrato were equipped with domed thumb-wheels to allow a Tune-O-Matic to rock forward/back.

Not saying that's the ideal solution, but I wonder how easy that setup is to come by nowadays- and it would eliminate any worries about a roller bridge (I'm not really a Gibson person so haven't checked.)
        Originally posted by King Buzzo
        I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Domed thumbwheels is kind of a cool idea. I know some of the vintage Gretsches had a bridge that was designed to rock back & forth to work with the Bigsby.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

The principle is also the same for Jaguar/Jazzmaster/Mustang bridges (don't laugh, it works well.) Actually- Bigsby Telecasters used the same bridge. That said it also is not clear to me if the domed saddles used a specialized bridge.

(I admit my bringing them up is in part just to satisfy my disgusting curiosity to have someone actually try some domed wheels and report back- or else have some old-timer regale us with first-hand experience )

Anyway to quit going totally off-topic: I have no experience with roller bridges. However from my experience with cheap roller nuts- I might worry about excessive lateral movement/rattle on a poor quality roller bridge.
            Last edited by Silence Kid; 11-06-2018, 12:47 AM.
            Originally posted by King Buzzo
            I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

ha ok so not a huge opinion either way. Got it

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
                The principle is also the same for Jaguar/Jazzmaster/Mustang bridges (don't laugh, it works well.) Actually- Bigsby Telecasters used the same bridge. That said it also is not clear to me if the domed saddles used a specialized bridge.

(I admit my bringing them up is in part just to satisfy my disgusting curiosity to have someone actually try some domed wheels and report back- or else have some old-timer regale us with first-hand experience )

Anyway to quit going totally off-topic: I have no experience with roller bridges. However from my experience with cheap roller nuts- I might worry about excessive lateral movement/rattle on a poor quality roller bridge.
                It was domed adjustment wheels, not saddles, and yes I believe the ABR's used with them had the bottom shaved to accommodate the different wheels. You can look up a pic on the internet.
                Al

Comment

I have a Tone Pros roller bridge on my SG with a Bigsby, TUSQ-XL nut, and locking Gotoh tuners. Before swapping the bridge, the Bigsby would settle 20 cents sharp any time I touched the bar, since swapping bridges the tuning has been solid. More details here.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I'm back. After a fair amount of research I've decided to go with the tonepros. Seems to get great reviews across the board.

They come in standard & metric. I'm a red-blooded American so I'm assuming I need the standard correct?

Basically.........this guy

Brand New TonePros TP6R-C Standard locking Tune-O-Matic bridge with roller saddles. Chrome. Fits USA Gibson and others.TonePros TP6R provides superior performance on all Bigsby-style tremolo equipped guitars. The TonePros design roller saddles are engineered to allow the strings to roll smoothly,...

Comment

Should work.

Comment

You haven't specified what guitar it's for. On a Gibson the US spec bridge will fit perfectly. For an Epiphone you'd need the metric one.

Comment

You haven't specified what guitar it's for. On a Gibson the US spec bridge will fit perfectly. For an Epiphone you'd need the metric one.
                          Highly modified '81 Flying V.

Comment

I have owned a few vibrolas and many roller bridges. One of the main things to consider is matching the fretboard radius. Then the stud spacing. Also consider replacing the original saddles with graph tech / tusq etc. You can adjust the individual string height by sanding the slots! My favorite roller is Schaller (14" radius) but I like the 12" radius on he StewMac roller for my Gibson.
                            Scotty D.

Comment

Working...
                            X