Taylor BBT about to get an upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taylor BBT about to get an upgrade

I don't know much about working on acoustics, so I figured this job was probably best left up to the local luthier. As of now my acoustic has several problems: The action is too high, the strings are too heavy, and there is not a single sound hole mount pickup on the market that is any good.

So here is what I decided to do: I'm going to install an LR Baggs Anthem SL pickup, which is what I find most accurately captures the acoustic sound of the instrument. Once I get it back I am going to lower the action and throw some 11s on it to make it more playable.

I will let ya'll know how things go.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: Taylor BBT about to get an upgrade

I just did the measurements. So a decent acoustic action should be ~2.5mm from the low E at the 12th fret. Mine measured 5.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

just putting lighter strings will bring the action down alot
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

An authorized Taylor luthier should have the correct neck shims to easily correct the high action.

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
          An authorized Taylor luthier should have the correct neck shims to easily correct the high action.

Bill
          I actually just sanded down the saddles and it did quite a bit of good. Now it's about ~3mm from the E and ~1.8mm from the e, which is fine by me. I've tried and I still cannot get any fret buzz, no matter how into a song I get.

Comment

Working...
          X