Tapping efficacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapping efficacy

You know, some guitars you can tap any string any fret loud and clear, easily, way moreso than on others?

What exactly combines to create this lively tapability? Fret size/material, action (lower? higher? medium??), strings, bridge/saddles, certain woods, or what??

NOT even getting into pickups here, seems high output pups help electrically, but I mean the guitars where you can literally bang your way around the fretboard with your fretting hand unplugged and it rings out loud and crisp
    Last edited by Adieu; 11-14-2018, 06:59 AM.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Re: Tapping efficacy

Big frets, low action. Any guitar I've played with this combo makes tapping very easy.

When there is high action you have to push too hard with the left hand when tapping which creates tension and limits your speed. When you've got low frets then tapping won't always sound cleanly, and you have to be much more precise with where your fingers go.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
      Big frets, low action. Any guitar I've played with this combo makes tapping very easy.

When there is high action you have to push too hard with the left hand when tapping which creates tension and limits your speed. When you've got low frets then tapping won't always sound cleanly, and you have to be much more precise with where your fingers go.
      General basics, yeah, but it feels like there's still something else to the formula... tension and/or gauge? Maybe. Idk.

Some stuff just taps better/worse than you'd expect.

Although obviously if it ain't set up halfway properly it doesnt tap for sh!t

Comment

Really any guitar that plays easy (low action, light strings, big frets) will tap easy.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
          Really any guitar that plays easy (low action, light strings, big frets) will tap easy.
          This is one of those places where you surely meant HEAVIER strings.

(As in "as heavy as can still be readily hammered with current setup's action")

Comment

Lighter strings require less strength to sound fluid and evened-out when tapping, although it's certainly not impossible to sound fluid with heavy tension.
            It's mostly about good technique and using your ears to dictate just how much circular motion you apply to the hammer/pull/taps.

Some slight compression doesn't hurt either, as doesn't a healthy saturation.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
              This is one of those places where you surely meant HEAVIER strings.

(As in "as heavy as can still be readily hammered with current setup's action")
              Nope, I meant thinner. Heavier strings are harder to push down.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Yeah maybe if you wanna go plink-plink-bzzzz lol

Super low action on tight 11's is devastatngly tappable, same guitar with 10s sounds thinner

Comment

I switch between 10s and 11s on my guitars pretty regularly and don't notice significant difference between the string guages for tapping. Maybe if you went to very, very light strings it would be more difficult.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

My favorite tension for most aspects of playing (except rhythmic strumming) is 10-50 E-Balls at Eb or 10.5-52 at D.
                    (roughly the same as 9.5-48 tuned standard E)

That tension is just about the perfect balance of easy play and percussive attack. I still have some ghs boomers 11-56 at C#-standard on my giger rgt, very close in tension but they start feeling bulky to me right about there. I don't know how I ever enjoyed playing with 12-58/60 at C# back in the mid 90s, it probably contributed a lot to my lowered interest in those years.

Comment

It is novel for a few notes in a solo, but overall, it is simply the wrong instrument to get good at tapping. A Chapman Stick/Warr Guitar/Touch Guitar are the right ones, and someone who has practiced those instruments for 3 months is light years ahead of the meek tappers we have on guitar.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I recently took my #1 to 10-46 to see if the looser Floyd was worth it.....currently forcing myself to give it a chance...but, NAAAAH

11-54 for E std or Drop D / 24.75"

High tension 10-46 like DR DDT is okayish for 25.5", but still kinda wish I found a set I liked in ~10.5 - 50

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          It is novel for a few notes in a solo, but overall, it is simply the wrong instrument to get good at tapping. A Chapman Stick/Warr Guitar/Touch Guitar are the right ones, and someone who has practiced those instruments for 3 months is light years ahead of the meek tappers we have on guitar.
                          Nah this was more like purely scientific curiousity, accidentally noticed huge difference in tapability between guitars trying to figure out if it's strings frets or what

Maybe in part cuz 2 of em currently have string experiments that I'm not too thrilled with on em

Comment

I think the feedback on this thread is really good but I tend to tap with a slightly different style than the late 70s/80s blazers (although that was my original inspiration) . -I like higher tension 11s for the feedback the string gives because my style more requires a rhythmic interaction of the string returning from the fret board quickly for the kind of movements and speed I like -plus I don't do a lot of Glammy tapping bends in these progressions which a high tension string would cause issue with.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

>
                              Last edited by Francois; 11-14-2018, 10:16 AM.
                              Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Working...
                              X