Yet another GC story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another GC story

There are just too many of these Guitar Center stories out there, but here's mine:

I walk into the store with my BBT Taylor in hand so that I can get a LR Baggs Anthem SL pickup installed. The sales rep tries to hit me with their classic "Welcome to Guitar Center, can I help you with anything?" sales pitch. I brush it off and tell the guy what I came to do. He says that I have a nice guitar and I say, "yeah, but the strings are maybe 1mm to high." Mind you all I've asked for at this point is to install the pickup. He says it will be done by next Monday, so I leave.

Today I get a call saying that the guitar has been finished early, so I go by to pick it up. I see the man not only installed the pickup, but lowered the action, cleaned the fretboard, replaced the missing truss rod cover with one made of rosewood, and replaced the old strings with the same type I had in my bag (Elixir Nanowebs, a $13 set). I know immediately that something is up, so I look down at the bill and see $200 for the pickup and $50 for the installation. Then I'm talking to the tech and he has the nerve to say that he set the mag/mic ratio to what he thought was the optimum level and then showed me how I could change it if I wanted to. He also said he overheard me saying it could be lowered a bit and figured it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to do it free of charge because he was short of jobs at the moment.

TL;DR- People who generalize about GC are often times wrong. I have to say, today was a good day.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: Yet another GC story

It's brave of you to let them touch your guitar at all, and I'm glad the result was positive. I've had great service there- but also some of the worst service of my life.

In particular I was totally ignored (as in- waved away like I was a five year old) by the only cashier on staff at Hollywood Guitar Center while I tried to buy a $5 (five dollar) case for my Mustang. I seriously had to wait for the manager to walk by and shoo away the girl he was chatting up. But hey- $5 Mustang case and I got to feel just like Kurt Cobain at the very same time!

Basically- I keep going back for the deals.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Well, hey, sometimes they might get it right. But across forums, they tend to get not just bad opinions, but downright violent reactions when it comes to their service. I am happy it was a good day. Get the tech's contact info because he probably won't be working there for long.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Did you go to one in Nashville or something? Or Japan?

Comment

Working...
        X