Should I or shouldn't I [Les Paul Studio mahogany]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I or shouldn't I [Les Paul Studio mahogany]

At one of our shops we have a Les Paul Studio in the natural mahogany and is an un believably lively guitar unplugged looks to be a 2 piece body and weight is under 8lbs.
    I can remember ever picking one of these up that is this lively and this light so it has my attention. Guitar is a 07 if I am reading the date code right and has been unplayed it's pretty pristine except were it sat in the window in one of our shops with a broken tuner grossly overpriced so long it sun faded a little down the neck. I put a set of Kluson style locking Gotos on it and set it up a few months back. Coworker had it on layaway for her son but just went a different direction so it's suddenly available again. Plays really nice and even with the stock pickups sounds really good. How uncommon is it to find one of these that is this light and resonant?
    Frankly have not owned anything Gibson in almost 30 years and in particular a Les Paul since the late 70's.
    Can be had for about $550 OTD from the shop.
    Last edited by Ascension; 11-22-2018, 10:24 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: Should I or shouldn't I [Les Paul Studio mahogany]

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
    At one of our shops we have a Les Paul Studio in the natural mahogany and is an un believably lively guitar unplugged looks to be a 2 piece body and weight is under 8lbs.
    I can remember ever picking one of these up that is this lively and this light so it hs my attention. Guitar is a 07 and has been unplayed it's pretty pristine except were t sat in the window in one of our shops so long it sun faded a little down the neck. Plays really nice and even with the stock pickups sounds really good. How uncommon is it to find one of these that is this light and resonant?
    Frankly have not owned anything Gibson in almost 30 years and in particular a Les Paul since the late 70's.
    Can be had for about $550 OTD from the shop.
    IDK....I have an 06 Studio that sounds pretty damn good. Tbh, I haven’t played it much since I got my 2012 Standard but it was my #1 up until then.
    I have a set of BKP Rebel Yell pups in it so ya know, that helps.

Comment

My 06 Studio Satin is light because it’s hollow, which is also why it’s livelier in tone compared to my 94 Standard.

Comment

Sounds like a cool guitar, but $550 is a bit high for a LP Studio with one of those 'Faded' finishes. If this one is gloss (don't think they made any gloss ones TBH) then the price is pretty good.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I agree with the above
          If it's one of the faded studios it's a bit high
          If it's the regular studio
          Then it depends on the condition and your interest

I have see the 2013 studio go for 800
          But it was the regular glossy studio

Which year was it they all had the brass adjustable nut? 16?
          It was one off those I think

But if you like it then it's just right
          You need it
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Guitar we have is dead on this one but in much better condition.

Didn't think it was chambered but I may be wrong. Played a number of these but this one is much lighter and sounds better more alive somehow in particular unplugged. Some Gibsons [in particular Les Pauls] can be confusing because they have so many models that are so similar but have such a wide value difference between models. Guitar is stone stock except for the Ghoto locking tuners I installed I think I paid $50 for them from ebay with the shops pay pal.
            Last edited by Ascension; 11-22-2018, 09:51 PM.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

yea thats a faded
              those were only 800 new
              and could be discounted for end of year
              or black friday

I have seen them 599 at GC back in the day
              400 would be the range on that one

but there again
              if it speaks to you then
              its worth to you may be 550 out the door
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I owned a previous incarnation of this guitar, before the chambering. It was my first ever Gibson. Bought it new for around $899.00 in 2005. It was a pretty neat guitar but I owed my father some money for car repairs so I sold it in 2011. Mine was heavy, around 9 1/2 lbs and came with BB Pros. One thing to keep in mind with these faded Gibsons are the fret ends. They aren't rounded or nibbed like the more expensive models so they are a tad pokey.

Comment

Why spend $550 on a Gibson (cheapy model) that's sun-faded and has tuner problems when you could spend less and get a much better quality/playing/looking guitar that doesn't need a couple hours of fret work?!
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	041D8E66-B5FC-40B5-8D6E-0A960A8B4D2C.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	5810571

I have two modded lower end LP’s and they both play and sound killer now that the bugs are all worked out. One is the he Faded, which is chambered, and the other is a 50’s Tribute, non-chambered. Both have aftermarket pickups (Pearly Gates in the Faded and D. Allen P-51 Mustangs in the Tribute), both have 50’s wiring harnesses, new pots, and PIO caps. I love them both. You don’t need to spend a ton to get a great playing and sounding Les Paul.

Comment

If it's one of those "special" guitars that speaks to you on a level beyond other guitars, don't quibble over a few bucks. It sounds like a lot of things have had to fall the right way for the guitar to end up in your hands, do you really want to tempt fate like that? Do some research on what they bring everywhere else and make an offer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        Why spend $550 on a Gibson (cheapy model) that's sun-faded and has tuner problems when you could spend less and get a much better quality/playing/looking guitar that doesn't need a couple hours of fret work?!
                        I replaced the tuners with a new set of Klusen look alike Ghoto lockers for the shop months ago. Only reason it didn't sell is the owners daughter had in on layaway for her son for Christmas and just changed her mind.
                        Factory fret work on this guitar is very good nice crowns no sharp ends plays very well as well in fact as the 04 R8 Custom Shop Historic reissue we had and maybe a little better.
                        in fact it is pretty mint and is cleaner than most on the rack as new in my local Guitar Center.
                        Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                          If it's one of those "special" guitars that speaks to you on a level beyond other guitars, don't quibble over a few bucks. It sounds like a lot of things have had to fall the right way for the guitar to end up in your hands, do you really want to tempt fate like that? Do some research on what they bring everywhere else and make an offer.
                          Have it on hold and have a number in mind, I intend on talking to the owner next week on it. Thought about buying the MINT Natural wide ribbon Quilt top Standard premium plus we have but this one plays and sounds better. I need a working guitar not a case queen!
                          That plus this will be a lot less $.
                          We have another guitar that if it dosn't sell before the 1st of the year I will also play on so got to pace myself and watch my budget on gear.
                          occupational hazard as right now have a MINT 86 Charvell Model 4 in the original tweed case with a Kalher, 1983 Robin RG and the Yamaha Pacifica 1421 on the racks at our shops. That is not counting the Les Paul. Also just had a real exotic wood cab Mesa Mk IIC PLUS combo with a EV just forfeit but had to do the right thing and call the guy, he came and got it out.
                          Working here can be REALLY hard on the wallet if one is not careful!
                          Last edited by Ascension; 11-24-2018, 10:02 PM.
                          Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                            Got a number in mind and intend on talking to the owner next week on it. Thought about buying the MINT Natural wide ribbon Quilt top Standard premium plus we have but this one plays and sounds better. I need a working guitar not a case queen!
                            That plus its' a lot less $.
                            Good luck man. Absolutely nothing wrong with rocking a great sounding LP Studio.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I've never played one of those that I didn't like. Go for it.
                              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Working...
                              X