NGD: G&L Tribute Legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: G&L Tribute Legacy

I was cruising a local Facebook music sale group, spotted a natural finish Tribute, tortoise guard, stock everything, but a little old and crusty. It was listed really cheap, I offered the cash contents of my wallet, and I just got back from picking it up. I’ll post some pics later if I get a chance. Needs a bunch of cleaning, fret polishing, etc... but for $122, I feel pretty good.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: NGD: G&L Tribute Legacy

Congrats!

I love mine!!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a steal! Here's hoping that it doesn't take too much work / expense to get it where it needs to be.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
        Here's hoping that it doesn't take too much work / expense to get it where it needs to be.
        The frets are going to take a minute to clean up. Aside from that, I'm going to take it apart, give everything a good once over, probably take the bridge apart completely and clean all the gunk off it, then string it up and see what happens. Also, I need to source a trem bar, so that's the only real expense.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I thought it would be funny to do a NGD post in the parking lot 2 minutes after buying the guitar. The cell service was bad, so it didn't work. Here's the crappy pic I took in my car.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
            I thought it would be funny to do a NGD post in the parking lot 2 minutes after buying the guitar. The cell service was bad, so it didn't work. Here's the crappy pic I took in my car.
            That looks great, and it's an even better deal than this one was:

'87 Charvel Model 1A

Found on CL in the Summer of 2013 for $150, but no case or electronics.

Congrats on the score, and looking forward to hearing how it cleans up.
            Last edited by dystrust; 11-22-2018, 01:28 PM. Reason: Derp.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Tore it apart, broke an intonation screw, replaced them all, got it back together, and did a rough setup. The neck on this thing is rock solid. I’m told it sat unstrung for years, I threw 11s on it and the neck is straight as an arrow. Haven’t plugged it in yet, but even if all the electronics are junk, the neck alone is worth more than I paid.

Comment

Congrats- That's a choice I'll never argue with. The DFV can be miraculous, enjoy.
                Originally posted by King Buzzo
                I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
                  The DFV can be miraculous, enjoy.
                  Have you ever broken one down? It has a MASSIVE block, and is super heavy. Like the rest of the guitar, it seems solid and set up effortlessly. The only part of the guitar I'm less than thrilled with is the trem claw. The screws are too close together to make the Carl Verheyen setup work (i.e., angling the claw). I'm pretty devoted to that on my Fender, but maybe it won't be necessary on this guitar.

Comment

Believe it or not I haven't done a tear-down on mine because it worked perfect right out of the box - at over thirty years old. The main components/operation are the same vs. the new ones, but mine uses zinc saddles & block; at some point they switched over to chrome plated brass blocks/saddles (meaning one might argue they improved with time- but I have no problem with the zinc.) For a while they offered steel saddles/block but that option evaporated.
                    Originally posted by King Buzzo
                    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Plugged it in, tweaked the pickup heights a little. Somebody did some odd wiring. Position 2 is the only one with any buzzing, and the controls are T-V-T. The first knob only affects position 2 (which may be bridge & neck, it has a superswitch of some type), and it sounds like it’s adjusting phase. Kinda weird, but there are some interesting sounds. Gonna mess with it awhile before I decide if I want to change anything.

Comment

Don't worry. The Carl Verhayen angled claw is utter nonsense. There is an inflexible metal block that maintains its shape no matter how much you angle the claw. The vibrato unit follows the same path regardless of how the springs are set. All you are doing by angling it is adjusting total spring pull on the block.
                        Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-23-2018, 11:35 AM.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                          Don't worry. The Carl Verhayen angled claw is utter nonsense.
                          Works pretty well on my guitar, but if you say so.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                            Works pretty well on my guitar, but if you say so.
                            There's no reason it doesn't "work" like any other spring adjustment. There's just nothing special accomplished by angling the claw. Think about it for more than half a second, and you should see why. The vibrato/bridge assembly moves in exactly the same path regardless of whether the claw is straight or angled. All you are doing by angling the claw is making a spring adjustment, like any other spring adjustment.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Congrats, that's a great price!

I picked up a 10th Anniversary at GC awhile back for a couple hundred, last spring, IIRC. Very impressive guitars for the money.
                              Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 11-23-2018, 09:33 PM.
                              Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Working...
                              X