MIM Tele bridge updgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIM Tele bridge updgrade

I want to upgrade the bridge (or just saddles) of my MIM Tele. If you had £50 to spend do you think it would be best spent replacing the entire unit with a Schaller Roller bridge, or keeping the existing bridge and replacing the saddles with Callaham ones? Both options are basically the same price.

Re: MIM Tele bridge updgrade

What is wrong with the current saddles?
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

The tuning stability on the guitar isn't bad but isn't as great as my Strat. I'm not sure if it's the tuners or the bridge, so am just going to replace everything. I've got some locking tuners on the way. I think the cheaper Mex Fender saddles might have something to do with it though

Comment

Tuning stability is almost always the nut. Start there before spending money elsewhere
        -Chris

Comment

OK, that does make sense. I actually filed the slots wider on the nut to accommodate thicker strings, so perhaps I didn’t do a very good job. The thing is, if I bought a new nut I’d still have to file it to accommodate the strings and probably end up doing the same thing…. Do you know of any decent nuts that have thicker slots as standard? I’ve just had a google to no avail

Comment

Start with something like this to tweak the slots.

Also, lubricate the slots with graphite or lip balm
            -Chris

Comment

The cutting of the slots is the most important aspect of any nut....and to that end there are very few preslotted ones, and none that are merely drop in and you're done.
              Some tweaking to what you have will make all the difference I'm sure.

Comment

I agree with the nut being the culprit, as well. For $50 you can get a nice bone nut cut to spec by a local tech, no?

Comment

While learning how to do full setups including nut filing is a very important thing, paying a good tech to do it while you learn will give you a great playing guitar in the meantime.

Also, as Ayrton mentions, you’ve got to use some lubricant as well, a little graphite goes a long way.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                  X