What happens if I remove the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens if I remove the neck?

Hello there. I have an Ibanez RGA32, 2012 model. It has a mahogany body (probably cheap asian mahogany called Nato, I believe), a 3-piece maple bolt-on neck and DiMarzio pickups (original active pickups were replaced with passive). The finish is called "mahogany oil". Just a cheap and nice guitar. I actually like how it sounds and resonates even unplugged and I want to keep it. I was wondering about replacing the bridge and repainting it in the future. The finish is nice (or the idea of the finish), but the painting works are not that good. The oil is not spread evenly in some places (sorry for my English ) and on the back you can see that the body consists of 5 pieces.

I suppose if I bring it for a repaint to a guitar shop they will have to remove the neck. But I was wondering, will it affect the tone of the guitar? I know there are a lot of factors that affect the sound (pickups, amps, wood type, my guitar skills), but I think the neck construction is also a very important thing. Does the "connection" between the neck and the body on bolt-on guitars becomes better in time? It seems logical for me that in time the neck and the body might become more and more "lapped" (I used a translator for that word, hope you'll get the idea) which leads to better sustain and resonance. Is it a big deal to remove the neck and put it back or am I just imagining things?

Click image for larger version

Name:	112.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	5849599
    Click image for larger version

Name:	113.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	5849600
    Last edited by Dmitry7; 11-26-2018, 09:25 AM.

Re: What happens if I remove the neck?

Neck removal does not normally change the sound of the guitar, provided it's put back on correctly.

Refinishing is far more likely to change the sound of the guitar.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I have to take the neck off my Schecter to adjust the truss rod, like ICTG said, it won't affect anything if a little common sense is used. And yes, the refinish will probably affect the tone some, but like you said, it's an inexpensive guitar so a good one to experiment on, a decent pain job will probably cost more than the guitar is worth unless you are doing it yourself, and then it is a lot of work.

Comment

No, unless it's put back on wrong (missing shims, unevenly tightened screws)

A proper setup on a bolt-on often includes neck removal

Also thats not uneven oil finish, thats just how the wood looks. Not sure if it has clearcoat on it, if it does that needs to come off first, but if it doesn't (rare in guitar but common in bass), then you can just rub in some more oil (boiled linseed or tung)
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

The quality of the joint between neck heel and body is very important, and even more on those AANJ Ibanez'es. So it has to set-in, and I too believe that it will only imporve with time. With my uv70p I got like 2 secs of sustain 1st string, 24th fret, now I can get a consistent 4 secs, which is great. This was partially thanks to a major overhaul on this part of the neck (heel), wood screw threads through body and neck, and secondly I believe just by maturing, seting in as time passes by

Comment

I think that guitar is gorgeous
            I would just buff it with some scotchbrite or something
            And add another coat of oil
            That's what I did with my SR500
            Loved the satin oil look but it was awful thin

Tung oil two coats
            Buff in between
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

In the normal course of life the neck and body do not improve in connection. Your theory would require continual movement, or at the least a huge crush force enough to compact wood.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                In the normal course of life the neck and body do not improve in connection. Your theory would require continual movement, or at the least a huge crush force enough to compact wood.
                Drying glue
                EHD

Comment

Don't know of too much drying glue in the neck interface of a bolt-on.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmitry7 View Post
                    I suppose if I bring it for a repaint to a guitar shop they will have to remove the neck.
                    They could maybe protect the neck with adhesive tape (like when they dress the frets) ?
                    Then no need to remove the neck.

(Personally I think it looks OK with its current finish.)
                    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Thank you guys for your replies! Buffing and applying some oil seems like a cool idea. I could do this myself without removing the neck, even if my point doesn't make sense still I won't have to worry about putting the neck back correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmitry7 View Post
                        Thank you guys for your replies! Buffing and applying some oil seems like a cool idea. I could do this myself without removing the neck, even if my point doesn't make sense still I won't have to worry about putting the neck back correctly.
                        I didn't take mine off
                        Just pulled the knobs painter's tape on all the hardware
                        EHD

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive
                          (redacted)
                          1st off, learn how to write in public. How old are you? 15? Second, experiments never prove, only confirm or disprove. I wrote about the result (2 sec increase), and the parameters that changed between before and after. Also I didn't know that noobs are gonna get hurt for fixing a lousy neck joint. Also I haven't done any study. If I had the time I'd spent it on something much more "scientific" than measuring guitar sustain.

Comment

I think some guitars improve with age. Typically, I think it's a result of the thing being played. Whatever the reason, I really don't care why.

As far as the neck thing, I do think my bolt-on guitars sound better after loosening the screws slightly and retightening them under tension. The idea is that it more securely seats the neck in the pocket. Again, I've never been the slightest bit scientific about it, but I tend to be pretty skeptical, and they all seemed to improve afterward.
                            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive
                              (redacted)
                              did you see any epoxy on the last vid I made with the Ibanez?
                              Seriously (lookup the word), I didn't mention undone changes, because they don't constitute a change.
                              Last edited by greekdude; 11-29-2018, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Working...
                                X