Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NGD: 1990 Gibson Les Paul Classic

Originally posted by Thundermtn View Post
    The reason for the later addition of classic to the headstock and snot green inlays was to prevent sharpers from switching a few things and turning them into R0-ish guitars where un-educated buyers didn't know all the details in a pre everyone having the internet & pre custom shop existence. Later they needed further seperation to justify to the average Joe to spend the money on a real R0. The rumor is a lot of the pre custom shop Classic's are Murphy painted.
    That’s what I had read in some of my research today. Supposedly Murphy pretty much lived in the booth doing color and painting. I read a quote from someone who worked there during the early 90’s and said if it was pre ‘92 or ‘93 (can’t remember) it was painted by Murphy. Not sure if there is enough credible sources to back the claim but it is a beautiful job nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by redwine006 View Post
      Oh wow that’s crazy! All the 90’s classics I’ve seen on reverb ranged from 1800-2200. Even saw a ‘90 Builion gold one for almost 3k. Thought that was a little steep.
      Those early bullion gold ones are unobtainium, so that price doesn't surprise me all that much.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
        Those early bullion gold ones are unobtainium, so that price doesn't surprise me all that much.
        Didn’t know that! It’s refreshing to find out things like this.

Edit: that did not register in my mind until after the fact.
        Last edited by redwine006; 11-28-2018, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Yessir it is the first run of the classic. This was before the snot green inlays and it still says "model" on the headstock. (Unless you already knew that and its sarcasm )

I paid 1840 to be technical, but it was on a trade with a 2005 explorer and the rest cash.
          How much did they value the '05 Explorer at?
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
            How much did they value the '05 Explorer at?
            $1100.

Comment

Yessir it is the first run of the classic. This was before the snot green inlays and it still says "model" on the headstock. (Unless you already knew that and its sarcasm )

I paid 1840 to be technical, but it was on a trade with a 2005 explorer and the rest cash.
              In all sincerity I think you may have been in the winning side of this deal.

I love explorers. Have one myself. But an early 90s lester is in my list.

I thought that the early “Classic” models were different. Seems I was right! Doesn’t have those ugly inlays...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                In all sincerity I think you may have been in the winning side of this deal.

I love explorers. Have one myself. But an early 90s lester is in my list.

I thought that the early “Classic” models were different. Seems I was right! Doesn’t have those ugly inlays...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                It was definitely a good deal. I had 2 explorers and I loved both of them(still have one in a Heather Mist finish), but I was without a Les Paul and I just felt incomplete. They’re all I’ve ever had really. The gentleman was retiring and very generous. It was his personal guitar for 29 years and it had been well taken care of. I was just thankful he gave me the opportunity to trade with him.

Comment

I have some Oceanside property in Arizona id like to sell all of you ...

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                    If you'll buy that I'll throw the Golden Gate in free.

I'm not saying Reverb is a 100% credible source, but just based on anything in this criteria that is pre '95, I have yet to see anything that low. I would've jumped right on it and still would if I found an early 90's for that price.

Reverb is a marketplace bringing together a wide-spanning community to buy, sell, and discuss all things music gear.
                    Last edited by redwine006; 11-29-2018, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Nice axe! Congrats!! Good info in this thread too! Didnt know 90's were a good vintage.. Also, I too have never liked the green inlays. always wondered why and what series they used them in.. The classics have a thinner neck profile right?? I know Jolly always liked the classics alot.. (BTW,l where has sir Jolly been??)
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                        Nice axe! Congrats!! Good info in this thread too! Didnt know 90's were a good vintage.. Also, I too have never liked the green inlays. always wondered why and what series they used them in.. The classics have a thinner neck profile right?? I know Jolly always liked the classics alot.. (BTW,l where has sir Jolly been??)
                        Thank you sir! I appreciate it. Likewise! I've become further educated with a bit of research and some helpful individuals in this thread. Yes sir, it does have a thinner neck. I've been playing my Explorer's so long now that it wasn't such a change.

Comment

Like I said, PM me when you find pre custom shop ('92 and earlier) Classic's that cheap, for real. I'd make it worth your while. Not trying to sound snarky, I want one at that price.
                          Last edited by Thundermtn; 11-29-2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundermtn View Post
                            Like I said, PM me when you find pre custom shop ('92 and earlier) Classic's that cheap, for real. I'd make it worth your while. Not trying to sound snarky, I want one at that price.

I had a 92 Classic i sold earlier this year for what i paid $1350.
                            I suppose if i were a dick i could have charged more but not into screwing people.
                            And Tom Murphy did not paint these guitars.

Comment

I had a 92 Classic i sold earlier this year for what i paid $1350.
                              Maybe you got a deal and passed one on to the next guy?

Had you paid $1350 in 1992, adjusting for inflation that would be the same as like $2433 this year. Just saying.
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

This is probably the best and most informative thread I came across where I found loads of info and the Tom Murphy paint discussion.

Post #34 asks the paint question, and it is answered at post #49

Is that the Firebird you were talking about ? http://www.fendertelecasterguitars.net/gibson-firebird-custom-shop-guitar-ex-ge-smith-snl-band/

Comment

Working...
                                X