This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my pickup dead?? Need help please

Hey guys. I am having a problem with my neck pickup.

Couple days ago, while I was playing, the neck pickup ('59) suddenly sounded very weak. It was not completely dead but the sound was very weak - almost acoustic. And when I roll the tone knob off to 0, the neck pickup went dead silent. The bridge pickup (JB) was doing fine but when I had the pickup selector in the middle position, I could not tell the difference between the bridge and the middle position.

So I took it to a local guitar shop, told them the issue and the tech initially thought the problem could be either:
    1. Grounding issue (most likely)
    2. Bad pickup selector (somewhat likely)
    3. Dead pickup (least likely)

He then opened the back up to check the wiring for grounding issues and combed through the wires only to see that everything was in order and looked fine.
    Next, he plugged the guitar into an amp and, all of a sudden, the thing was working fine. The neck was full sounding and I could definitely tell the difference between the bridge and the middle position and the neck did not go silent when the tone knob was rolled off to 0. (This whole scene made me look like an idiot)
    Came back home and guitar was doing fine so I thought maybe it was just some sort of a fluke and the problem was fixed.
    But, of course, last night the problem came back. Same problem as mentioned above. Bridge pickup is fine but it's only the neck that sounds weak.
    Is it my pickup dying?
    Need some help/advice please!
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Is my pickup dead?? Need help please

Welcome to the forum!

My guess is related to wiring, some kind of poor connection / bad solder. I would reflush the soldering of the neck pickup.

If you have a multimeter it would be great if you could measure the pickup.

Wiring tends to be the issue much more often than the pickups and when a pickup is dead, IME, it does not come back to life.

Comment

cold solder join which makes or doesn't make contact depending on the position or motion?

Comment

Maybe get a luthier to check it out if you don't have any electronics skills. Make sure they don't charge you too much.

;>)/
        sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
          cold solder join which makes or doesn't make contact depending on the position or motion?
          Welcome to the forum!

Bad pickups generally don't work sometimes- they tend to work or not. So, good news is that it is probably a cold or weak solder joint. Do you know how to solder? It isn't hard to learn, and all of us here had to learn at some point.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Could be a bad/dirty switch contact since it only seems to affect the neck pickup.

As Mincer said, a pickup is good or dead, they don't really get intermittent.

Comment

leg of the cap on the tone grounding
              bad switch
              bad solder joint

good pickup
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Thanks for all the inputs guys!!
                So as an update - I did reflush the solder connection between the neck pickup going into the pickup selector switch and the problem was easily fixed.
                Glad it wasn't anything dead (other than the solder, obviously), saved me some money.
                Thanks again guys.

Comment

Working...
                X