X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To mod. or not to mod.

Hello.

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
    When you do get the Invader in (congrats!) you might consider using a flat or very short mounting ring like the neck usually has.
    This way you will be able to back the pickup down away from the strings more without the bobbins going under or even with the ring.
    Not that it matters really, but I've always liked the looks better when the bobbins are at least a tad higher than the rings after getting it adjusted.
    I'm looking forward to trying an Invader after all of this time I'll tell ya!!! Hopefully the DM SD will be here tomorrow or Friday so will start with that though.

Not gonna lie to you I'm worried about these pickup rings. I cannot believe that after two Charvels and three Jacksons I've never noticed this!!! Guess I'm gonna find out soon enough though!!!

As it stands now: the bridge pickups on both Jacksons are probably protruding out of the bridge pickup ring by about 2mm at most (possibly even less on the treble side). And they're set close i.e. 1.6mm from the bottom of the strings when strings are fretted at the last fret (this as per Jackson factory specs.). Point is: I cannot take bridge pickups much lower without them disappearing below the rims of the bridge pickup rings. I've read up on this and APPARENTLY it makes no difference. Not convinced. And yeh: not pleasing to the eye either.

Found this site yesterday though (all manner of "extras" for a variety of guitars):

https://www.fretsonthenet.com/Pickup...bucker:32Rings

So I will see what happens. ASSUMING there is no OTHER reason for the bridge pickup rings to be higher than the neck pickup rings: if it becomes a problem then I'll just order some (lower) pickup rings for a Jackson from the dude above (assuming that either the DM SD or SD Invaders need to be a lot further away from the strings than the stock pickups) (although I'm pretty sure that for some or the other reason: both of these new pickups are going to be WEAKER than the stock pickups in this particular Jackson) (I kid you not i.e. this thing is an absolute "mutha" for some or the other inexplicable reason) (it's like they are TOO hot) (and I don't even know if that's possible). But I have a VERY odd feeling that the bridge pickup rings are higher because there isn't enough space to route deeper into the body i.e. the FR springs cavity is right below the bridge pickup.

Oh well. Always keen to learn!!! LOL!!!

A bit upset that I'm gonna have to waste strings though i.e. I put new strings on this black Jackson about two weeks ago!!!

Regards,

Dale.

Comment

Hello.

I'm led to believe the DM SD should be delivered today. Wanna do some recordings of the guitar (black Jackson) before it arrives so that I can compare after installation (same setup and amp. settings). Am thinking that I may as well install the CTS pots that I bought some time ago for this guitar (1MΩ volume, 500kΩ tone with a 0.022µF Orange Drop cap.) while I'm about it. Have to slightly enlarge the holes for the pots though (CTS slightly larger in diameter than the Alpha pots I recently put in or the stock Jackson pots) with a StewMac peghole reamer that I have for the job. Gonna have to go through this whole process at least twice again though i.e. once to test the SD Invader and then to install a matching neck pickup (either another DM SD or a DM Super 2 or SD Invader neck) (depending on which bridge pickup I elect to keep in this guitar) (bridge and neck gotta match in my world) (at least insofar as manufacturers are concerned).

Anybody think of anything I've forgotten here (first time I'm changing pickups in a guitar)???

On a sidenote: a bit peeved with SD. Asked if the Synyster Gates Invaders are still available. One line answer: contact your local dealer. Would it have been too much trouble (and to save us all time) to just tell me "yes they are but you need to go through your dealer to order" or "no they're not". Anyway. Moot point now as I've already ordered a standard Invader bridge. What's the point of the "Contact Us" form on the site??? May as well replace the form with a link to the dealer listings and have done with it (not to mention that it took four days to get that one line response) (I expect that type of service here but not from the US). Oh well. "Rant for the day" over and done with.

Regards,

Dale.

Comment

How on earth would that guitar, with those pickups, sound dark? Are you sure it doesn't have 300k or even 250k pots?

Comment

Hello.

Not sure to which guitar you're referring???

I'm modding my black Jackson not the Blaze (sorry: as is USUALLY the case with any of my threads they end up going off at HUGE tangents and detours!!! LOL!!!).

The (black) Jackson is "dark" (by my definition anyway) i.e. has loads of bass and treble but scooped mids. same as the Blaze (black Jackson, for the next few hours anyway, has stock "over hot" Jackson pickups and the Blaze has a SD Full Shred in the bridge and a SD JB SH-4 in the neck). White Jackson: stock Jackson pickups but totally opposite i.e. less bass, less top., "present" mids. (given the exact same amp. settings for reference).

As I said: not modding the Blaze anymore. As far as I know though it's got a custom wound Blaze pot. which I can only assume is a 500kΩ linear pot. (volume only no tone pot).

Regards,

Dale.
          Last edited by dpaterson; 12-07-2018, 02:24 AM.

Comment

I think you might want to rethink putting a 1M volume pot in.

Comment

Hello.

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
              I think you might want to rethink putting a 1M volume pot in.
              Any particular reason for that???

I put a 1MΩ (Alpha) pot. in my white Jackson when I got it and I cannot help but wonder if that's one of the reasons why it's got a fuller and rounder tone than the other two guitars??? Really don't know. I did try a 1MΩ (Alpha) pot in the black Jackson with its current stock pickups but that made it even more "trebly" so put the original Jackson 500kΩ pot. back in.

Ah. Don't worry. I'll experiment and leave the forums in peace.

Thanks anyway.

Regards,

Dale.

Comment

I think it will be too bright. But yes, experimentation is fun too.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post

(by my definition anyway) i.e. has loads of bass and treble but scooped mids.
                  It might behoove you to start using different terminology or you're going to have to clarify that by "dark" you mean "scooped" in all of your threads.
                  Your...unique interpretation....is confusing.
                  Originally posted by jcthejester13
                  Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Working...
                  X