banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a roller nut provide more tuning stability than one made of graphite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a roller nut provide more tuning stability than one made of graphite?

This is regarding a Stratocaster with a regular 2 point tremolo.

The question is pretty straightforward, assuming the guitar is properly set up, all other components the same (that means locking tuners in either scenario), will a roller nut provide a tangible benefit over a Graphtech Tusq?

I'm putting together a Strat and my final decision is the nut. A roller is slightly more expensive which I am happy to shell out for but I just figure at a certain point you reach a level of tuning stability that can't be further improved upon, or if it is it's a negligible difference.

Thoughts on this?
    Originally posted by jcthejester13
    Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Re: Will a roller nut provide more tuning stability than one made of graphite?

You may experience difficulties with a roller nut if you change the gauge of strings that you use. But I think both are good. Graphite nuts provide great tuning stability, etc. It depends more on the looks and that's a personal preference.

;>)/
    sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Get a Zero Glide nut. No string binding for excellent stability, they accept any string guage without modification, they have the string intonation of a compensated nut, and your open strings sound like fretted notes. They are almost drop in replacements as well.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

OP, what style guitar do you plan to play on this guitar?

Personally, I think a roller nut is a waste -you are solving a problem that largely doesn't exist with a properly setup guitar

I do see the tangible benefits of a Graphtech nut -especially with a guitar that travels between tropical and arid climates and flies. Graphtech provides a maintenance free way to insure some movement and relief from binding of the string under tension versus a traditional material for a nut.

I do see the advantages of a Roller Bridge for vintage style Trem systems because the larger angle and greater tension at the closest friction point from the Bigsby
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I dig graphite nut + saddles. No tuning issues, ever.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The slight potential benefit is not worth the extra effort. A well-cut nut that is properly lubed will work without issue.
            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I do not particularly like my roller nut, it requires maintenance (got to clean the fuzz and stuff out) and still isn’t as good as a tusq with graphite powder.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have a wilkerson roller nut on my daphne blue strat
                And it works just fine

Electric Guitar Roller Nut Adjustable Chrome Black Gold
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Never seen that style before.
                  -Chris

Comment

I like the idea of them - but also never had trouble with tuning stability on any standard nut so it's a true 'bonus' for me. I don't like the idea of not having independent rollers per the nut linked above, I can see bending one string doing strange things to the others; maybe it's a non-concern.
                    Originally posted by King Buzzo
                    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I have both older styles on two Strat Plus models. I can't really say I see a benefit over a proper nut.
                      -Chris

Comment

bending plain strings really doesnt affect the other plain string
                        its kinda round on top

thats something else you need to think of with the wilkerson style

they need a large shelf and the break point is about 3 mm back from the fret board
                        to make it work out you will have to remove 3 mm of rosewood and scooch it forward
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I prefer graphite. Everyone I know who has a roller nut had problems with it.

Bill
                          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                            Get a Zero Glide nut. No string binding for excellent stability, they accept any string guage without modification, they have the string intonation of a compensated nut, and your open strings sound like fretted notes. They are almost drop in replacements as well.
                            I came across this name as I was looking into the topic of this thread, but I didn't really put together how good it would be for a tremolo.

You've had good experiences?
                            Originally posted by jcthejester13
                            Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Originally posted by oilpit View Post
                              I came across this name as I was looking into the topic of this thread, but I didn't really put together how good it would be for a tremolo.

You've had good experiences?
                              Yes I have. And if I were a betting man, I'd bet that all of the people on this thread recommending a graphite nut have never tried a Zero Glide. The only downside compared to a traditional nut is that some people unjustly give them a bad rep because in the past zero frets were used on crappy oriental guitars. I'm currently in the process of installing them into most of my guitars.
                              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
                              X