Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New linear taper potentiometers for a 2012 Epiphone LP Standard Pro

Hi,

I am new to guitar playing and I have a 2012 Epiphone LP Standard Pro, from the serial number it seems it was made in Korea. I upgraded the humbucklers to Seymour Duncan 59 Model and JB Model Humbucklers.

Also, I swapped the knobs out and when I did so I think I broke the voulume controls. As I removed the old knob the enitire shaft came out on both volume controls. So I am being allowed to replace the Volume and Tone controls as a holiday present.

What I am looking to do is replace the Volume and Tone Controls to new set. It was suggested that I get “linear taper” potentiometers. In additon I would like to keep the same set up with the “push-pull” so that they could activate/bypass what is called a “coil tap”. It enables humbucking pickups (the kind you have) to duplicate the tone of “single-coil” pickups.

Looking on the World Wide Web of information, their seems to be a lot of replacements.

I was hoping for some reccomendations on I believe it is called a wiring kit, to replaces the old volume and tone controls with a new set that would be compatible with the Seymour Duncan 59 and JB Model humbucklers all ready instlled.

Also, from what I understand is that this guitar has short shafts. How can I verufy if I have Long Shafts or Short Shafts.

I guess a kit would be one way to go but, which would be a nice replacement to the current ones.

Thanks do much for any help.
    Clydgar

Re: New linear taper potentiometers for a 2012 Epiphone LP Standard Pro

Short vs long shaft pots should be clearly indicated in the name of whichever kit you end up buying. If you were buying the electronics individually then there would be some more numbers and values to make sure you got right, but any decent Les Paul wiring kit is gonna have all that pre-selected for you, and Duncans all have 4 conductor wiring so you are pretty much good to go (four conductor wiring just means you have different colored wires for the individual coils as well as the 'hot' and 'ground' wires, these are all used in conjunction with push/pull pots to split your coils.)

So now your only real decision comes down to how confident you are soldering/working on the electronics of your guitar.

You can either go for something like this, where most of the work is done and all you need to do is put it in your wiring cavity and solder the right colored wires to their corresponding terminal.
    https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_...pull_Pots.html

Or something like this, where you get all the parts and you would follow a wiring diagram to know where to install everything.
    https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_...pull_Pots.html

You will learn more if you go for the ladder option, but I would make sure you understand what you're getting into, it's not difficult, but it can be extremely frustrating if you struggle.
    Originally posted by jcthejester13
    Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Here you go! (CLICK ME)
      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Thank you very much for the help.

Happy Holidays.

Comment

Uhm, NO!!!!!!!!!!! ~~~ALL WRONG~~~~

You want LOG TAPER potentiometers if you wanna get into details... although both will work, linear taper will provide an unnatural roll-off.

You can get them with push-pull, but be aware that it's a lot more tougher small detail soldering if you DIY it, or ~2x the price if you pay someone else to do it

Shaft length is easy, if thread protrudes ~1 finger from the top it's short shaft, ~2 fingers it's long shaft.

ALSO:
          The "prewired" kit actually literally requires MORE soldering than to swap out 2 non-pushpull volume pots in a wired-up guitar. And also conveniently costs >+$100 more

And, finally... lots of people will celebrate CTS pots, but they're the only pots younger than age 40 I've ever seen die horrible deaths for no apparent reason.

All you really need is $5 worth of Bourns potentiometers... or the Alphas everybody seems to scoff at
          Last edited by Adieu; 12-07-2018, 06:20 PM.
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post

You want LOG TAPER potentiometers if you wanna get into details... although both will work, linear taper will provide an unnatural roll-off.

You can get them with push-pull, but be aware that it's a lot more tougher small detail soldering if you DIY it, or ~2x the price if you pay someone else to do it

Shaft length is easy, if thread protrudes ~1 finger from the top it's short shaft, ~2 fingers it's long shaft.

ALSO:
            The "prewired" kit actually literally requires MORE soldering than to swap out 2 non-pushpull volume pots in a wired-up guitar. And also conveniently costs >+$100 more

And, finally... lots of people will celebrate CTS pots, but they're the only pots younger than age 40 I've ever seen die horrible deaths for no apparent reason.

All you really need is $5 worth of Bourns potentiometers... or the Alphas everybody seems to scoff at
            thats not true

and bourns pots are more than five bucks, come on man

Ibanez and Carvin/Kiesel use linear volumes and audio/logarithmic taper tone pots

over on Aliexpress you can get the original epi wiring harness with the connectors
            yours has connectors right>?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Epi-...e-dcad570e62d7

or with the push pull pots

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Epi-...c-692726e0e10a
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post

ALSO:

JFC you have no idea what you are talking about.
              -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
              “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Working...
              X