No announcement yet.

New (first) build: Birch body strat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New (first) build: Birch body strat.

My very first guitar bodies were from birch. Mostly because at the time I worked in a lumber yard and I liked the smell of birch.

From a tone perspective I’d say birch is more similar to poplar than hard maple. You’ll get sustain and brightness so take that into consideration when designing your electronics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SawDusty View Post
      My very first guitar bodies were from birch. Mostly because at the time I worked in a lumber yard and I liked the smell of birch.

From a tone perspective I’d say birch is more similar to poplar than hard maple. You’ll get sustain and brightness so take that into consideration when designing your electronics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I did suspected the brightness and sustain. Always thought poplar to be softer wood though. Didn't thought that analogy and thought maple to be closer...
      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Project slowed down a bit with new years festivities and due getting back to work. Also I did a bit of mess with the routing: First routed the bridge cavity too large...

So needed to route a recess around the hole, plug it up, and route it again. Now it's just right:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190107_195353.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	5812536

Then after dropping the bridge in place I checked the neck and realized the neck pocket was crooked. Proceeded to shave down the lower side to get the neck straight (Good thing I left the lower horn finishing for last!)

So need to add a bit extra wood there as well:

Name:	20190107_195306.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	5812537

Can't get it done today since forgot glue in my car and it froze...
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

That looks really cool! Can't wait to see it all finished and hear how it sounds. Nice work!!

Comment

After fixing the neck pocket other projects got a bit of my time. Got back to this project today and finished the routing (well, aside the jack plate):

Name:	IMG_20190119_190845.jpg
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	5812649

Neck fits nice and snugly now. Also set up the "up-down" alignment of it as well by sanding the heel while i was at it:

Name:	IMG_20190119_182745.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	5812650

I tried out the bridge with small screws to make sure the neck alignment. High e side was slighty too on the edge, which was easy fix as the bridge was a bit too much on that side as well. Filled those two screwholes with matchsticks.

Once I get screws for neck I'll string it up and test. Ones that came with the neck plate are too long with the countour.
            Last edited by Jacew; 01-19-2019, 12:36 PM.

Comment

It needs a buffer!

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                It needs a buffer!
                ? What?

Comment

Joke...

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                    Joke...
                    So I figured. Just didn't get it ...

Comment

I stringed it up todays ago and made sure all works correctly. It plays really well acoustically. More sustain than neither of my other strats.

56 mm wide bridge is stupid. It's perfectly centered and e strings barely stay on fingerboard.

It'll be next week before I have time to get back on it.

Comment

Update on the project:

I sold the unfitting Callaham bridge and build one from GFS block and Squier CV plate I had around. Also picked up Boston/SPG saddles to finish that "budget trem" option.

Body has gotten paint. Backside got two smallish runs, but what matters looks nice. Hopefully It'll look that after it cures as well...

Name:	20190218_232440.jpg
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	5812973

Name:	20190218_232457.jpg
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	5812974

Comment

You are doing a great job!
                          "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Now is the time for a buffer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                              Now is the time for a buffer.
                              I still don't get it...

Comment

So. I've had the body, neck and hardware mostly ready now for months, but got stuck with electronics. Being busy with just about everything else I just didn't have motivation to start planning the wiring.

Well I finally got the plans ready and wired the pickguard today:

Name:	20190530_202825.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	5814348

Tomorrow I'll fix up the jackplate with master volume and hopefully I'll get it together during weekend and may post first impressions.

Comment

Working...
                                X