Fender Kurt Cobain Jaguar vs Classic Player HH Jaguar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Kurt Cobain Jaguar vs Classic Player HH Jaguar

On the surface these look pretty similar. I guess the Cobain has real Dimarzios and a 3-way toggle. Are there any other differences other than the signature? I think they are both “adjust-o-matic” Bridges, right?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Re: Fender Kurt Cobain Jaguar vs Classic Player HH Jaguar

The Classic Player has the vibrato mounted an inch or so closer to the bridge. The Kurt also has an extra knob. The bridges are both Tune-O-Matic type but not sure if there are differences in what sort. The Kurt has a bound neck (small headstock and different decal as well.) The Classic Player has a vibrato with a screw-in arm, which I'm pretty sure the Kurt doesn't have. Off-hand the Kurt is also quite a bit more expensive.
    Last edited by Silence Kid; 12-24-2018, 02:18 PM.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

The Jag I just refinished was considered the "poor mans" Cobain model. The HH set up just never did for me.

Whatcha plannin?
      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
        The Jag I just refinished was considered the "poor mans" Cobain model. The HH set up just never did for me.

Whatcha plannin?
        I was thinking how much I like my Classic Player Strat (unbelievable value and quality for the price I paid, and the feature set is great). I know the Tele version (Baja) is great as well. Looking into the other guitars in that lineup lead me to the offsets.... updates to hardware, hotter pickups, all things I’d be interested in. That and a few other posts here led me to the Marr and Cobain Jags, and of course I’ve been interested in the Mascis Jazzmaster forever. I guess I’m kind of looking at the offset Vibe with modern updates.

The thing I don’t want to do is pull an Astrozombie and get an HH Jaguar when I’ve been telling myself for 18 months that the next guitar I get will he a “real” Les Paul. I love the Fender style guitars and have a ton (and still GAS for more as evidenced by my recent post) but I’ve always dreamt of a nice Traditional or even R8 Les Paul. So in the end, who knows....

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
        The Classic Player has the vibrato mounted an inch or so closer to the bridge. The Kurt also has an extra knob. The bridges are both Tune-O-Matic type but not sure if there are differences in what sort. The Kurt has a bound neck (small headstock and different decal as well.) The Classic Player has a vibrato with a screw-in arm, which I'm pretty sure the Kurt doesn't have. Off-hand the Kurt is also quite a bit more expensive.
        Thank you for the details. I knew you’d have them all. Now, knowing I don’t want to mess with a vintage style Jazzmaster/Jaguar Tremolo, is either placement “better” for one reason or another? The Cobain’s headstock is interesting, were the first Jags the Strat headstock or is this a stylistic choice? Is the screw in arm preferable?
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The reason for the closer vibrato placement is a greater break angle over the strings. In theory that is meant to do two things: Add sustain/eliminate some of the surfy 'plink' to the attack and decay, and keep the strings planted more solidly in the bridge slots. That said, I never had the string-jumping problem with any of my Jaguars/Jazzmasters, using stock bridges and strings between 9s & 11s but some people do. The closer placement also affects behind bridge harmonics.

I'd say perhaps the tone is a bit brighter than it would be otherwise but it isn't a game changer or deal breaker for me. The screw in arm is an asset as the press-in arms in even AVRI vibratos can tend to be a bit loose. From my experience the Classic Player vibratos are good quality.

I think the consensus is Kurt's Jaguar headstock was modded at some point; it's a '65 bound/dot neck, and even the very first Jaguars had a slightly larger headstock than a Strat. So it is probable someone altered the headstock and decal at some point. Good luck on your search, I do think the Mexican Jaguars are great guitars.
          Last edited by Silence Kid; 12-25-2018, 11:12 AM.
          I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Well if you want a Les Paul, any of the early aughts is a winner. You can find '01-'06' Standards (or Classics) for under $1500 easily.

For me, I wanted a Jaguar to be a Jaguar, that is why I converted mine back to "standard" from the original HH setup.

The J Mascis Squier gets great user reviews, but I have not tried one myself. I have a friend with the MIJ Fender version and it rocks.
            -Chris

Comment

Squier Mascis Jazzmasters are great; this might be an illusion but it seems like there's an extra layer of QA on the Mascis models' neck and body as compared to the regular VM Squier.

The Mascis also has the nearer-placed vibrato and Tune-O-Matic; as well as pickups that are basically P90s. In my opinion the best value offsets are the Mexican 60s Lacquer series or whatever you call them; excellent guitars. My Jaguar is MIJ and I love it, but the MIM lacquers are better in just about every way, minus the matched headstock and fewer available colors.

Comment

I hate that all the current Jaguars from Fender are missing the matching headstock. I wouldn't mind a Road Worn offset... (stay off Reverb)
                -Chris

Comment

Working...
                X