Picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picks

Ive been using the Fender Heavy 358 picks for years and thinking about a change. I prefer smaller picks so Im guessing the Jazz III picks would be the route to go as the standard size picks feel too big. What Jazz III picks should I be looking at. I believe the Fender Heavy picks are 1mm but could be wrong. Id be ok going up or down just a little bit, just not sure exactly where I want to go. There are so many different options within the Jazz III arena and I guess I could get a couple different versions and see what I like best.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Re: Picks

Go somewhere that has the big display of Dunlop picks, and get 2 or 3 each of the regular red and black, Ultex, Carbon Fiber, Tortex .88, Tortex 1.14 and Tortex 1.35. Might set you back as much as $7.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Whats the difference between the red and black?
      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400
      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

They're all good to use. They all work great for fast, accurate picking. Differences are pretty minor, and I'm happy to use any colour Jazz III that happens to turn up in the couch cushions.

I find the regular red ones sound nice, but get really slippery when you sweat a bit. I solved the problem by taking a pen knife and scuffing the plastic up a whole bunch. The black ones are pretty much the same as far as I'm concerned, maybe a tad bit stiffer (this has never made a difference to me when picking really fast though, so maybe I'm imagining it).

Jazz IIIs Ultex are my favorite. They're grippy enough that they don't slip in your hands, they sound great (maybe a touch brighter than the red ones?), and they're cheap. However, when you drop them on the floor they turn invisible, so buy a bunch.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

If you have problems gripping your pick (as I do), I suggest the Cat's Tongue pick from Cool Picks. Both gripping surfaces feel exactly like a cat's tongue (the teeth stick out), and it won't turn or slip from your fingers. Many times I have to throw it down after playing.... I use a black .88mm...
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
            Whats the difference between the red and black?
            Red are nylon, black are stiffo.

Blacks are a bit less floppy and have a very slightly brighter attack.

Comment

I wouldn't call the red Jazz IIIs floppy. :P
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

^ Agreed. Also, I think both red & black are nylon.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  I wouldn't call the red Jazz IIIs floppy. :P
                  Yeah, I'm not calling them floppy either. I guess what I meant to say is they're supposed to be less stiff.

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                  ^ Agreed. Also, I think both red & black are nylon.
                  Yes, but Dunlop call the black ones "stiffo" because the process they use to dye the nylon gives them a different feel and tone.

I wouldn't say there is a night and day difference between both, TBH, but there is supposed to be one.

Comment

I have a bunch of the red ones, and they’re good. I really prefer jd205s, though. They’re my fav.

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
                      Ive been using the Fender Heavy 358 picks for years and thinking about a change. I prefer smaller picks so Im guessing the Jazz III picks would be the route to go as the standard size picks feel too big. What Jazz III picks should I be looking at. I believe the Fender Heavy picks are 1mm but could be wrong. Id be ok going up or down just a little bit, just not sure exactly where I want to go. There are so many different options within the Jazz III arena and I guess I could get a couple different versions and see what I like best.
                      I've been using these Fender heavy celluloid ones (Boston, UT and Curt Mangan brands but exactly same) recently, because my store and supplies of Fire & Stone picks run out and I haven't been able to find that kind of softer way better sounding celluloid ones anywhere.
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Also try the Jazz III shape out of delrin, or Tortex. Those are my favorite. I dig the shape, but always hated the nylon and relief of a normal Jazz III.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have never been a fan of any of the Jazz picks. I like regular sized Dunlop Tortex better, and you can also get the smaller "Teardrop" size in the Tortex line in any thickness from .5 to 1.14

From picks to pedals and every accessory in between, Dunlop Manufacturing has been creating world-class gear for musicians for over 50 years. We consistently create the best selling picks and analog electronics, and carry a large line of accessories that set industry standards in their respective fields. We have a long list of legendary and modern-day superstars who all share a passion for our gear. Whether it’s pushing new innovations with our string line, or tweaking classic sounds with our vintage pedals, there is a dedication to music at the heart of everything we create.

Sometimes Ebay sellers have "trial packs" of picks that have one of each thickness.

Comment

My Dunlop jazz 3 black picks are carbon fiber, the red ones are plastic. Carbon seems a bit warmer in sound, red ones are a tad brighter.
                            Both play very well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190309-101828.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	5813205
                            Last edited by 80's_Metal; 03-09-2019, 11:20 AM.
                            Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                              Go somewhere that has the big display of Dunlop picks, and get 2 or 3 each of the regular red and black, Ultex, Carbon Fiber, Tortex .88, Tortex 1.14 and Tortex 1.35. Might set you back as much as $7.
                              +1

You can't go wrong doing this. Personally I started with Jazz II and then gradually came to the red and black III, then Tortex Jazz III (purple which I think is 1.14?)

Now I go between the Ultex Jazz III and Jazz III XL, Brain Picks (nylons but very grippy and sound good to me), and more recently Gravity picks. The latter is a bit pricy but worth it IMO.

I can't really get back into the tiny size Jazz III anymore as my style has changed a bit but still pick it up once in awhile

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
                              • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                              • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                              • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                              • G&L Tribute Comanche
                              • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                              • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                              • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Working...
                              X