banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Read this before buying a Pitbull DIY kit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read this before buying a Pitbull DIY kit.

If you're expecting mediocre build quality with the intention of just doing some fret work and light sanding before assembly, you will be disappointed. I ordered the hardtail, ash-bodied strat kit with a maple fretboard with that expectation, based on several(probably paid for) youtube videos representing these DIY kits. Heres what i got:

The tuner holes were a couple of millimeters out of line and unevenly spaced by the same amount. The slope down from the nut to the headstock wasn't even remotely straight. The neck pocket is attrocious. The body sander left flat spots that required a belt and spindle sander to correct. The fretwork is heinous, but that i actually expected having the means to correct.

Despite all that, the only thing i complained about was the issue with the tuner holes. They told me to wallow them out with a file and had the audacity to tell me that it looks like i "did a rush job" installing them, despite admitting straight up that it's a common occurance in the prior email. They also commented on the fact that the spindles aren't aligned with each other, which is what i had to do to make the tuning pegs appear to be the same distance apart from one another from the front of the headstock

Keep in mind, this isn't a $50 kit. It cost $169US with shipping, a bone nut upgrade, and very minimal shielding foil. I've never even seen the lowest-end Squier that comes in the guitar + amp kit with such poor quality control.

Now for the hardware. The tuners aren't typical Squier level tuners that work ok until you can afford replacements. They feel like they have sand in them, and they literally have 1/4 turn of slack before any tuning correction happens. They are virtually unusable.

I opted to build a pickguard with GFS grey-bottom "Texas" pickups(which are phenomenally good), so i can't comment on the quality of the pre-wired pickguard supplied with the kit.

I went with this kit because of the hardtail option, the 12" radius fretboard, and the ash body. The truth is i would have been better off taking my chances with a Squier bullet strat and buying a $100 ash hardtail body off ebay. I would have spent marginally more money and would have a MUCH better quality instrument.

In conclusion, the DIY kit at its current price is not a good value. I wouldn't be surprised or aggravated if this kit had cost $50 or if they actually honored the warranty they rant and rave about on their videos. Save yourself the trouble, and modify a used MIM, CIC or Squier.
    Last edited by rumblebox; 03-19-2019, 12:53 PM.
    Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Re: Read this before buying a Pitbull DIY kit.

I torched the whole thing since the 3-piece ash body wasn't going to be a consistent color with tung oil by itself.

Attached Files

Comment

Man that sucks but on the bright side that torch job looks way cool.
      Last edited by Jr_vw2; 03-19-2019, 01:12 PM.
      Insert witty signature here so people on the internet will think I'm cool....

Comment

Read this before buying a Pitbull DIY kit.

Those tuners...wow

Pickups sound great, though.

Comment

The torched body looks great!

;>)/
          sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Why didn’t you just send it back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            ___
            T.B.
            Raiford, Fla

Comment

Originally posted by Twang Banger View Post
              Why didn’t you just send it back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              He's not honoring the warranty unless i hog out the tuner holes and try to line the tuners up. I'd rather just roll with it instead of losing more money in shipping with no guarantee of ever getting a good neck. It'll serve its purpose for what it is until i can afford to build another one with good parts. It does sound pretty killer too. I just wanted to share my experience and save someone else a headache.

Comment

It sucks getting bad parts when you're not expecting it. But theres something that much better about having to face a challenge when you can manage to get it to work out nice in the end.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
                X