Fret work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret work

So Ive come to the conclusion, I need to have some fret work done to my Iceman. There are fret out issues and the strings ring up and down the neck. Its not a set up issue as it was done within the last 6 months or so. That helped a little bit but not much. There are obvious divets and flat spots in/on the frets. The frets have never been touched before and its a 1994, so definitely time to get the work done.

My question is, when talking to my local shops, what type of information should it be presented, should I run from or should tell me this is the shop to do the work? One of the places Im looking at has the price for a bound neck posted at $385, which includes the following:

Set-Up included
    Fret Dressing included
    removing old frets
    simulate string tension for 1/1000th inch accuracy
    plane out fingerboard w/proper relief using certified straightedge and light
    trimming and filing the fret tangs to fit within the neck binding
    dress frets and fret ends

Anything you guys wanna throw out there to help guide this fret damaged soul would be of great help. The same shop also lists a partial refret at $235 or crown/level for $195. In my very limited knowledge, I think Im beyond crown and level, but if Im wrong, Ill much happier paying the $195 vs almost $400.

Though for $400 and a trade in of my acoustic, I could buy something new and keep the Iceman as a wall deco with limited playing.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Re: Fret work

Do you just need a level and crown? Are your frets very worn? I charge $150 for that. That includes a setup.

For a full refret I charge $300 for bound necks.

Those are similar to other prices in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Im not 100% sure, Im guessing Id have to have someone more knowledgeable to look at the frets to see if a level and crown would suffice or if I have to go with a refret. The frets are pretty worn but I did just change string gauge from 10s-9s on a whim and seems to make the ringing worse but even with the 10s, its audible.
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400

Comment

If you're happy with the height of the frets, you can just get a level. The benefet to getting a refret is that you can get stainless steel frets which don't wear.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

I could do stainless for nearly $500, if that were the case, Id just hang it on the wall and buy something else.
          Jackson Soloist 7 string
          ESP LTD M-400

Comment

David Raven Moon's prices are right in the pocket, and he's correct - a fret level might be the way to go.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

If I can go that route, Id be a very happy camper, rather spend the 195 on the level than almost 400 on new frets
              Jackson Soloist 7 string
              ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Pics of the deepest divots might let folks give better input.

Larry

Comment

Heres a couple I took quickly, dont actually own a real camera and lighting in this place is kinda meh but hopefully somone can get a better idea and direct me in the right direction

Click image for larger version

Name:	0425191759a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	5813799

[
                  Attached Files
                  Jackson Soloist 7 string
                  ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Those are fixable without replacing.
                    I had a guitar that had some DEEP divots from an indentation made from it striking something (?) and it was fixed. It was twice as deep as those.

That said, I’m no luthier, so those that are can give you more accurate info.

Comment

Oh, yeah - lots of meat left on those. I've leveled stuff far worse than that. If it was on my bench I could have the next day for you playing better than new.
                      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Thanks guys, hopefully where ever I end up going to get it fixed agrees with you guys. Id much rather spend $200 vs almost $400.

Heck at that rate, might have a new pick up or two put in it.
                        Jackson Soloist 7 string
                        ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Hey in this case just a bit of fretwork is enough - but if in the future you have a guitar that you love in this situation, a refret with SS is not a waste of money. You shouldn't need any fretwork after that initial cost, and SS just feels so good to bend on.

Comment

Working...
                          X