3x individual switches with 3x stacked pots. VTVTVT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3x individual switches with 3x stacked pots. VTVTVT

I say ditch the on/offs and go with a 3-way switch. VTVTVT is great, but do you really need all seven pickup combos, complete with the annoying movements it takes to get them?

Pesonally, VTTT would be my ideal Strat setup...but there's just no way to get a good looking four knob setup on a Strat. The best looking I have come up with is putting the volume knob out on the horn like a Gretsch, and it still looks weird, and requires a lot of wire length.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-27-2019, 05:46 AM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

If you are trying to do all stacked knobs - I found out that the front stacked knob really gets in the way of palm-muting the high strings - which is why I took off the top knob. I might bite the bullet and put in the selector, but to keep myself happy, go with VTT and a Band-Control Unit. Three tones would be nice though, as each of the pickups are "poles" apart tonally (Schaller Hot Stuff - MIM Fender - medium output DiMarzio) On that note - can a BCU be wired to more than one pickup?
      Last edited by FrankensteinsLobster; 04-27-2019, 06:40 AM.

Comment

And on that "DiMarzio" btw - I e-mailed them to see if they could identify it and they said that given it didn't have "DiMarzio" stamped on it - it's probably not a DiMarzio. I bought it about 15 years ago off a guy in school, and never used it until now. I thought I remembered him saying it was an EMG, but it's not active, and the wiring colours match DiMarzios, and it came in a DiMarzio box. His Dad's a luthier, so my next best guess is that it's a stock pickup from a nice guitar (it sounds really good at least). Do all DiMarzios ever made come with the name stamped on them?

Comment

Hey Franken. Where did you find that little LM386 board? That's kinda cool.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            Hey Franken. Where did you find that little LM386 board? That's kinda cool.
            Found it on ebay for about $3. Try searching "LM386 mini DC". Was going to use it for a sustainer pickup or built-in speaker maybe.

Comment

I want a sustainer really, really bad.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                I want a sustainer really, really bad.
                The patent on them expired about 3 years ago, I'm surprised there aren't more off-brand ones about. I was thinking of sending one off to a factory in China to have it reverse engineered and a bunch of them made with my own name on them. That's very much a pipedream though. I have the 'lite' version that came on a Fernandes Mustang clone. It's a double-coil - essentially a single-coil and the sustainer coil. The coil that makes sound is pretty anemic - so i was thinking of upgrading that part of it. But make no mistake they are LOADS of fun and you ARE missing out. I'm about to sell that same guitar but I'm gonna take out the sustainer first because from my cold, dead hands.

But in principle they're not that difficult to make. They're only 120 winds worth, so you could do that much by hand. Count 20 winds in your head - then glue gun - repeat another 5 times. Then run the 'live' pickups through a pre-amp and whatever a "ruby" is through to the sustainer. From what I've read.

Comment

Found it. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X