Humidifying electric guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidifying electric guitars

They are in a small bedroom sized room and iv just made my own home made humidifying system by soaking four t-shirts and using my wife’s clothes hanging rack centered in the room. Bought a cheap but working hygrometer that has a built in temperature gauge.

In this room im getting 24 degress celcius and at 50-60% humidity.

My living room has thesame temperature but has only 27% humidity.

Am i not suppose to play my toys in the living room because of the too big of a difference in humidity?

Re: Humidifying electric guitars

If guitars that are being dragged around on tour through all manner of temperature and humidity don't explode, I think your guitars will be fine in the living room.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

There is no logical reason to humidify a solidbody electric. If anything, they sound better when they're older and dryer.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Just no
        Nope
        Please stop

Moldy rotting guitars is all you gonna get
        Oh and a warped neck

Nope

Dont say I didn't tell ya
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Oh wait
          Do you live in a desert?

You may need that then,
          Excuse me
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Humidifying electric guitars

I’ve been playing guitar for 41 years. I’ve owned over 25 guitars. I’ve never owned a single hygrometer. Does it have true bypass?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
              I’ve been playing guitar for 41 years. I’ve owned over 25 guitars. I’ve never owned a single hygrometer. Does it have true bypass?
              Hahhaah truebypass no it doesnt have.

Have always had maple fretboard for years and never had a problem before but now that iv aquired two with rosewood with one of them being the most expensive iv ever had before which led me to be concerned.

Have been doing the humidifying for one week now. It used to be 31% before in the room. Now im at 45-60%. I can adjust the humidity by just opening the door, itd quickly decrease to 50.

Im not waiting for the necks to be warped but i havent experienced it yet. I do noticed that some frets that were a tiiiiny biiity sharp now are smooth. It also plays better with less buzz.

I dont know. But id like to play in the living room.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                Just no
                Nope
                Please stop

Moldy rotting guitars is all you gonna get
                Oh and a warped neck

Nope

Dont say I didn't tell ya

How did you managed to rott a guitar? Like was it really that humid at your place? Whats the first symptoms for the mold? Green or white on the guitar?

Comment

I've my electrics somewhat informally humidified for decades and never had any problem with mold or rot. I keep a dish sponge in each case and moisten it every couple of months. I was told by a bandmate years ago that keeping them from drying out too much is a good thing for necks & fretboards. (That former bandmate has worked on guitars for Jeff Beck, Al DiMeola, Kirk Hammett, Steve Howe, Warren Haines and BB King among others.)
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by budubum92 View Post
                    How did you managed to rott a guitar? Like was it really that humid at your place? Whats the first symptoms for the mold? Green or white on the guitar?

Thats not so hard. Look at this fine example.

Last edited by hamerfan; 05-03-2019, 12:26 PM.
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Now thats nasty. Maybe the room didnt have good ventilation therfore no moist are able to escape the room therefore that guitar and the the room its in germinated molds.

Comment

I grew up in what is a high desert, never had stability issues or problems with guitars drying out. 7 years ago i moved to venice italy and now i am constantly surrounded by water and the humidity is never below 50% and frequently over 90, here I have many more issues with fret boards and truss rods moving. I was always under the impression that dry wood was stable and that moisture in wood would cause it to move.
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Working...
                        X