banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008 White CSX Squier SE Stratocaster - massively overhauled...with pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 White CSX Squier SE Stratocaster - massively overhauled...with pics!

I bought a completely stock white SE late last year from Guitar Center and had it delivered to my friend, Nic, in Massachusetts. Nic is not a luthier or a tech, but he works on his own guitars and those of his friends. I had seen a lot of his work and he volunteered to do everything for me for free on his downtime so I felt good about doing it this way.

The neck, body, string trees, neck plate and jack ferrule are the only things original about this guitar now. Here are the upgraded parts:

2007 Fender USA Wiring Harness (came with the stock Fender neck and middle pickups)
    Seymour Duncan Red Devil bridge pickup
    Switchcraft output jack
    Fender Pure Vintage Tremolo Spring/Claw Kit
    Modern MIM narrow spacing big block bridge
    Fender American Standard trem cavity cover.
    Proline Metal Dome Control Knobs
    Gotoh Locking Tuners
    Dunlop Straplocks
    Graph Tech Tusq XL nut
    Warmoth custom single ply, 8 hole pickguard

I also purchased the following products for this project:

ColorTone tinted (vintage amber) nitrocellulose lacquer
    Music Nomad F-One fretboard oil

It took 3 months before Nic was ready to send the guitar back to me (remember that he was doing it on his downtime). I got it and then took it to my tech for the nut replacement and setup w/neck shim for low action..

The neck finish is just great...it's very smooth to the touch, but has a few places that make it look authentically aged (as seen in the photos below). You may or may not like it, but I freaking love it. It's a tiny little touch that I think is just superb. Nic also rolled the fretboard edges and applied two coats of fretboard oil.

This is a CSX, so it has the huge neck with lots of shoulder. It feels just like an old Gibson neck...it has that much shoulder. Measurements are .87" at the first fret and a full inch at the 12th fret.

Radius is 9.5" and the nut width is the vintage 42mm.

This guitar is a super cool combination of vintage and modern and I really can't say enough good things about it.

PICS from before the nut replacement and final setup (pardon the messy office...I originally took these photos for another friend and don't feel like doing it again now that my office is not messy):

Short iPHone VIDEO from after nut replacement and setup:

Last edited by cliffenstein; 05-04-2019, 07:38 AM.
    1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2005 Edwards E-JR-100LTD/DC w/Gibson P90
    2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
    2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior
    -------
    1979 Marshall JMP 2204
    1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
    2021 Epic Amplification AR50
    2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​

Re: 2008 White CSX Squier SE Stratocaster - massively overhauled...with pics!

Why not learn how to DIY?
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
      Why not learn how to DIY?
      The end result I had in mind (which is what I got) wasn't conducive to the damage I would have caused had I attempted to do it myself. I wasn't trying to learn with this, I bought it for a specific reason.

I can put in tuners, I can put in a bridge, claw, springs, pickguard. What I can't do is install a pickup (I can't properly use a soldering iron to save my life!) or do the refinishing work. Nic hooked me up with the complete wiring harness for free, too!
      Last edited by cliffenstein; 05-03-2019, 03:36 PM.
      -------
      1979 Marshall JMP 2204

Comment

That's a damn good shade of white you got there! Very cool parts list as well.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
          That's a damn good shade of white you got there! Very cool parts list as well.
          Yeah...straight up white that doesn't fade to a creamy yellow. I wouldn't have minded one that did, but yeah...this is very cool and I like it a lot.
          -------
          1979 Marshall JMP 2204

Comment

That's a beautiful guitar. I totally love white Strats.

Not sure I would consider it "massively overhauled", but some cool upgrades nonetheless (I would personally prefer a b/w/b pickguard, but that's just me).
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
              That's a beautiful guitar. I totally love white Strats.

Not sure I would consider it "massively overhauled", but some cool upgrades nonetheless (I would personally prefer a b/w/b pickguard, but that's just me).
              Let's see...new wiring, new pickups, new toggle, new output jack, new tuners, new nut, new pickguard, new trem cavity cover, new trem bridge assembly, new springs, new claw, new knobs, new strap locks, refinished neck/headstock and oiled fretboard. Would it require a paint job to be massively overhauled? There's literally nothing left of the stock guitar other than the neck, body, string trees, neck plate and jack ferrule (not the jack, just the ferrule).

Also...my vision for this guitar was to make it my version of Jeff Beck's modded 1960 Stratocaster that he used on tour in Japan in the late 70's. Hence, my getting the single ply black pickguard.

As a bonus, it looks a lot like if Johnny Ramone's famous white Mosrite was a Strat.
              Last edited by cliffenstein; 05-04-2019, 07:45 AM.
              -------
              1979 Marshall JMP 2204

Comment

Originally posted by cliffenstein View Post
                Let's see...new wiring, new pickups, new toggle, new output jack, new tuners, new nut, new pickguard, new trem cavity cover, new trem bridge assembly, new springs, new claw, new knobs, new strap locks, refinished neck/headstock and oiled fretboard. Would it require a paint job to be massively overhauled?
                At least.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  At least.
                  Haha...that’s cool. I do concur on your original assessment of its beauty and appreciate that compliment.
                  -------
                  1979 Marshall JMP 2204

Comment

I really wish guitar companies like Fender/ Squier would offer some finished neck and body deals and let us sort out the rest. I know that necks and bodies are available from many places, but getting them from the bigger brands, and already finished, would be nice. I'd enjoy walking into a store and checking out the finishes and the neck shapes.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
                      I really wish guitar companies like Fender/ Squier would offer some finished neck and body deals and let us sort out the rest. I know that necks and bodies are available from many places, but getting them from the bigger brands, and already finished, would be nice. I'd enjoy walking into a store and checking out the finishes and the neck shapes.
                      They do, but not retail. You have to look at pics, ask advice from people in the know, and do a lot of research. Then once the neck you order shows up it’s often not what you were hoping for.
                      -------
                      1979 Marshall JMP 2204

Comment

The guitar turned out great looking...sort of a Jake E. Lee vibe to it. The rolled edges on the FB and conditioning of the fretboard is a real added bonus because you want a great smooth feel while playing up & down the neck. Squier guitars are awesome for upgrading and you can make them look and feel like a million dollars.

;>)/
                        sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                        X