What do you use to cut strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you use to cut strings?

What do you use to cut strings? Does it hold up well under the task? Would you buy the same thing again, or would you try to upgrade?

I found these Channel Lock diagonal cuts at Tractor Supply and thought they looked decent. We’ll see if I’m still using them in ten years.

Re: What do you use to cut strings?

I use this style. Although, technically, I think they're bolt cutters. Strong, and good torque for cutting bass strings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt_cutter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	5813926

Comment

I just got done restringing my Charvel mutt and snapped a pic showing the cutters I use.

Name:	zxxc.jpg
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	5813928
      87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Name:	deliverance-hillbilly.jpg
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	5813929
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Either of these.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Usually, a Leatherman Blast.

Prior to that, I used small Craftsman diagonal cutters, until they broke when I tried cutting a popsicle stick. We have a new set of Gearwrench compound leverage cutters at work I’d like to buy.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I have a set of Diamalloy side cutters my dad gave to me 50 years ago. He put an edge on them, and they cut like scissors. They show no wear at all, after probably thousands of string changes. Very treasured; I still remember him getting them out of his toolbox and giving them to me. Thank you, dad.

I bought some Craftsman, and they were junk. But I found a nice set from Cruz Tools, and they are very good. I would recommend them.

Bill
                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  Came here to say this
                  green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    I use this style. Although, technically, I think they're bolt cutters. Strong, and good torque for cutting bass strings.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98053[/ATTACH]
                    Those are end snips not bolt cutters, just as an FYI

My preference are flush cut side cutters but dykes work just as well
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I just flex them back and forth in the hole and they snap off, less sticking out to poke your finger that way. Cuz we all know that **** hurts!
                      Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                        These are great little tools. I lost mine. [emoji853]

I mostly use diagonal cutters. I repair guitars so I cut lots of strings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have one of the little Gerber Or Leatherman plier knife combos in every guitar case, gig bag, and in the back of open back amps.

Name:	Screenshot_20190504-161547_Chrome.jpg
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	5813934
                          Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-04-2019, 02:19 PM.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                            I just flex them back and forth in the hole and they snap off, less sticking out to poke your finger that way. Cuz we all know that **** hurts!
                            This is what I do. I can't think of a single reason why you'd need to do anything else.
                            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

This is what I do. I can't think of a single reason why you'd need to do anything else.
                              Until the owner (or a luthier) has to restring the guitar for some reason with the old strings. Then you're screwed.
                              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                              X