No announcement yet.

Alright guys which guitar should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright guys which guitar should I get?

After 6 months of not having a guitar I am finally going to be able to get another one. Unfortunately I can not go try out any of these. I tend to play a little of everything but mainly classic rock, blues, Alice In Chains type stuff and stuff like corrosion of conformity and mastodon.
    So far on the list are
    Gibson les Paul, Sg or explorer. I do have experience with all 3 so I know what they can do.
    PRS S2 or CE I’ve had 2 SE models and owned a CE 24 in the late 90’s early 2000’s
    Music man mainly a majesty I tried an axis years ago for about 20 minutes. The main reason I’m looking at the majesty. I found one on black noir finish new for $1899.
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Re: Alright guys which guitar should I get?

What amp are you using?

Comment

Just because I had one and it's the ****:

G&L Superhawk. Tribute or USA, it doesn't matter.

It SLAYS for low tunings, Alice in Chains and Mastodon. It's heavy, it plays like a Charvel and sounds like a steam train. Simple, barebones and solid.

And don't get a Majesty, it's so thin it just doesn't feel oriented to proper rhythm playing. Unless nerdy scale runs with precise, efficient picking mechanics are your thing, I like thick guitars so it didn't work for me. But then I'm more Hetfield than Petrucci. I say you need a battle axe.
      Last edited by Diego; 05-13-2019, 04:38 AM.
      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I’d add a Reverend to the list. Hands down best guitar at their price point.

For set neck, you’d be looking at one of the Sensei variants, and for bolt-on, I think the Kingbolt. Also, worth taking a look at their Reeves Gabrels signature model(s).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I say SG or Tele, if you will have only one guitar. They cover a lot of ground, and usually play very easily IME.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

If all you are playing is AIC, CoC, Mastadon, you don't need a guitar nearly as good as the ones you listed....:
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

HSS strat...most versatile config me thinks...

Comment

These are vastly different guitars. The solution, eventually, is to get all of them. But you might want to do an old-fashioned +/- list and list the reasons you'd want one or discount one.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Blues and Mastodon? Les Paul.

When I first really got into Mastodon I was thinking of selling my Les Paul to get something more suited for metal. Then I looked up what they used (a Les Paul) and decided I just need to get better at playing.

But the correct answer is to get whatever you really want. What would make you pick it up off the stand more often? What would make you grin when you pick it up? Don't overthink it. Get that.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

An ESP/ LTD Eclipse model could be another option, one with Duncans or Dimarzios might give you a bit more kick than a Gibson.
                    PRS Chris Robertson maybe? Singlecut with a humbucker and P90 could be a good fight?

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I’ll look into all that was suggested. I’m not really and speed player or shredder I’m pretty heavy handed. I’m mainly leaning toward one of the new gold top standards the 61 SG or explorer. I am a big fan of tele’s though. I’ve heard a lot of good about reverend’s. And the new Ltd EC1000 in satin silver burst has caught my eye as well.

Comment

Definitely a Les Paul or SG for heavy riffs.
                        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                          I say SG or Tele, if you will have only one guitar. They cover a lot of ground, and usually play very easily IME.
                          Seconded....

If I were only going to have one guitar in my life it’d most likely be a Telecaser, a LP or SG would be my next choice...
                          I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

LP

Comment

PRS
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                              X