Neck relief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Neck relief

I must have misunderstood what you meant by..."Playing that and sliding up/down make my fingers caught up on the fret wires itself." I thought you were referring to the sharp edges of the fret ends.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by budubum92 View Post

So i put a bit more releif. /something about 0.5 mm when checking on the 12th fretwire when i depress the 1st and last 24th fret at thesame time.
      0.5mm relief is a huge, huge, huge amount. I set up (my) guitars to have approx. 0.15mm to 0.25mm. That's 0.006-0.010 inch. yes, that little. the moment you can slide a pick between the 7th or 8th fret and the string (with a capo on first fret, holding down the string at the 15th), your neck is way too hollow.

and yes, a neck too straight or too hollow can actually damage the trussrod, have frets pop out, or even pop through the fretboard. I've had it happen before. Not a pretty sight.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
        0.5mm relief is a huge, huge, huge amount. I set up (my) guitars to have approx. 0.15mm to 0.25mm. That's 0.006-0.010 inch. yes, that little. the moment you can slide a pick between the 7th or 8th fret and the string (with a capo on first fret, holding down the string at the 15th), your neck is way too hollow.

and yes, a neck too straight or too hollow can actually damage the trussrod, have frets pop out, or even pop through the fretboard. I've had it happen before. Not a pretty sight.
        I think im on the safe side.

No i cant fit anything under 7th or 9th or 12th fret when the first and the last frets are depressed. I think its the action on the bridge the that is a bit high.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          I must have misunderstood what you meant by..."Playing that and sliding up/down make my fingers caught up on the fret wires itself." I thought you were referring to the sharp edges of the fret ends.

The way it feels is like when you play the neck with no strings thats how i feel with the action too low. My finger tips nags on the fretwires when doing slides or nags on the ffetboard wood when bending.

Comment

Your a bit heavy on the left hand man. Only thing that helps keep your fingers from slapping every fret on your way up the neck is thicker strings. Or let loose with the death grip and stroke that neck gently.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by InbredJunk View Post
              Your a bit heavy on the left hand man. Only thing that helps keep your fingers from slapping every fret on your way up the neck is thicker strings. Or let loose with the death grip and stroke that neck gently.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
              Yes. id do like to hit the strings a bit harder so warbles abit.

Comment

Ok

My guitar basically has a straight neck

.005” of relief at 8th fret

We’re talking straight

The nut is cut down super low

This is very very important make sure your guitar is in spec. I put mine pretty low with a set of files I got on Philadelphia luthier tools.

I set my action at 1/16 of an inch at the 15 fret.

She buzzes. The strings are low and everything is easy, but she only buzzes when unplugged. Sometimes that high e pentatonic bend will buzz out on me but through the amp it still sounds amazing.

Sometimes we hear things unplugged the guitar doesn’t actually put out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There could be a subconscious tendency to hit the strings a bit harder when unplugged to compensate for the loss of sound when amplified. That will cause a noticeable buzz not heard when amped.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                    Ok

My guitar basically has a straight neck

.005” of relief at 8th fret

We’re talking straight

The nut is cut down super low

This is very very important make sure your guitar is in spec. I put mine pretty low with a set of files I got on Philadelphia luthier tools.

I set my action at 1/16 of an inch at the 15 fret.

She buzzes. The strings are low and everything is easy, but she only buzzes when unplugged. Sometimes that high e pentatonic bend will buzz out on me but through the amp it still sounds amazing.

Sometimes we hear things unplugged the guitar doesn’t actually put out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I happen to setup my low E a bit lower at 12th fret so that it buzzes abit without going dead. It adds zing on the treble frequency when played from the dirty channel.

Comment

I pound my strings whether chords or single notes. I need about .010-.015 depending on the guitar and where the neck meets the body and I prefer my action fairly high.

Comment

Working...
                      X