Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To shield or not to shield

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    If you are playing live in clubs under show lights, whips with PDUs, stage pins and twist locks -especially in a single coil config, you are going to want to add copper tape the inside cavity and solder ONE wire (ONE PATH) direct to the ground of the 1/4" guitar jack IF the tape isn't touching the control pots (IE you cut around them) -make sure there is only one path from everything to the 1/4" -otherwise, you will have ground loops noise.
    Ground loops cannot exist in an electric guitar. The only path to ground on an electric guitar is the amp. You can have fifty wires grounding the shield on your guitar and it will be no different than if you only had 1.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
      Ground loops cannot exist in an electric guitar. The only path to ground on an electric guitar is the amp. You can have fifty wires grounding the shield on your guitar and it will be no different than if you only had 1.
      Ground loops is the wrong terminology, I apologize, you don't want multipath grounding through audio components such as Pots, switches, and especially active components when you can avoid it.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
        Ground loops is the wrong terminology, I apologize, you don't want multipath grounding through audio components such as Pots, switches, and especially active components when you can avoid it.
        Do you mean like al Les Paul guitars since the 50s?
        Two volumes each with a ground
        Then those combined to the Jack

Every two or three volume circuit has "multiple ground " combinations to Jack

Dont they?
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
          Do you mean like al Les Paul guitars since the 50s?
          Two volumes each with a ground
          Then those combined to the Jack

Every two or three volume circuit has "multiple ground " combinations to Jack

Dont they?
          Passive Humbucking set ups probably not a concern, with Single Coils, active pickups and such, a single path for a Faraday shield in a cavity is one path out of best practice.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The logic I've always thought that the "one ground only" idea came from is that although multiple grounds in itself isn't a bad thing, it opens more opportunity for a bad soldier joint to introduce noise. It also looks a lot neater to use a single ground.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
            X