Got any "sleeper" gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got any "sleeper" gear?

What gear do y'all have that either by price, aesthetic, or reputation doesn't seem all that high quality, but works? Here's mine:

DigiTech Bad Monkey- Who doesn't want a cheap TS style pedal with a bass cut and a direct-to-mixer amp simulator? This has the most tonez per dollar of any effect pedal on my board.

Johnson Millennium Stereo 150 212- This is probably the only modeling amp I actually like, and I got it in exchange for a MX412 cabinet that was spending it's time as a cupholder more than a speaker. Plus it makes a cool whirring sound when you turn it on, like an old desktop computer.

Taylor Big Baby- This guitar is to this day the only acoustic that I've ever bonded with. I bought it new for a mere $400 dollars, and while it sounded on par with the higher end guitars (and was much louder) it played like crap. After I lowered the nut and bridge and sanded down the neck, it played like a dream. I then installed an LR Baggs Anthem pickup, which now in my mind the best acoustic pickup on the market.

What all do you have that punches above its weight class?
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: Got any "sleeper" gear?

I've got a Schecter Telecaster. Swamp ash with maple neck. Dimarzio area hot T in the bridge, and area T in the neck. The thing smokes.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
      What gear do y'all have that either by price, aesthetic, or reputation doesn't seem all that high quality, but works? Here's mine:

DigiTech Bad Monkey- Who doesn't want a cheap TS style pedal with a bass cut and a direct-to-mixer amp simulator? This has the most tonez per dollar of any effect pedal on my board.

Johnson Millennium Stereo 150 212- This is probably the only modeling amp I actually like, and I got it in exchange for a MX412 cabinet that was spending it's time as a cupholder more than a speaker. Plus it makes a cool whirring sound when you turn it on, like an old desktop computer.

Taylor Big Baby- This guitar is to this day the only acoustic that I've ever bonded with. I bought it new for a mere $400 dollars, and while it sounded on par with the higher end guitars (and was much louder) it played like crap. After I lowered the nut and bridge and sanded down the neck, it played like a dream. I then installed an LR Baggs Anthem pickup, which now in my mind the best acoustic pickup on the market.

What all do you have that punches above its weight class?
      A friend of mine has that Johnson amp, and it really is rather great.

Comment

MXR 6-Band EQ.

up 800Hz with a PAF-type pickup equipped guitar into a Plexi.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus View Post
          A friend of mine has that Johnson amp, and it really is rather great.
          Yeah, the only downside to it is that it weighs 70 pounds (that's about 16k penny weight for our friends in the UK) and tends to break if you move it around too much. Lucky for me it spends most of it's time in my "studio" and I have other more reliable amps for when I'm out of the house.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

G&L ASAT Tribute that has had the control section bashed in (very thin layer of wood between cavity and top) and repaired, crappy repaint so it looks like a refugee...however, it plays like a dream and with P-Rail neck and ‘59 bridge sounds awesome...P-Rail wired for p,rail, in series and parallel with itself...P90 sounds better than the best and in parallel HB is just what a neckbucker should be. Probably couldn’t sell for 100 but it’s worth a thousand to me....
            Last edited by justFred; 05-24-2019, 12:42 PM.

Comment

I have a Shure Beta 57. Not the Beta 57a that has been in production, the weird looking one that came before it. I think it cost me 30$ more than ten years ago. Super reliable, it's great on guitar cabs, drums, and for singing.

Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Anything Peavey pre 1990s
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                  Johnson Millennium Stereo 150 212
                  Sweet, underrated amp. I have the "pod" version. The Johnson J-Station. Killer unit that was way ahead of Line 6 at the time. I don't know why they went out of business.

I also have my Johnson Strat. (No relation at all to the Johnson amps/pods.) It plays and feels as good as any Fender I've tried or owned. And since it was "cheap", it's been through many wiring iterations. It just keeps on truckin'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Johnson_Strat_collage.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	5814247

Comment

Biyang Tri Reverb
                    Sweet lush reverb
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I have a Bad Monkey pedal that I love. I use the 'mixer out' into an amp. I also love the little plastic Danelectro Surf & Turf compressor, and any BYOC pedal I've built.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                        Anything Peavey pre 1990s
                        Word. My entry is an old Peavey Predator MIA Strat copy. It's really heavy and has a junk bridge, but the neck is incredible.
                        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I have a semi hollow ESP Eclipse (MA Hollow) from '97 that's pretty amazing. Looks like a jazz box and a pointy guitar had a secret affair but it just works for some reason.

I'm not sure it's a sleeper because it's not overly cheap, but it is definitely cheaper than what the more recent solid body Eclipses go for.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

'76 or '77 Gibson Marauder. Gets laughed at because it has a bolt-on maple neck (you know, just like EVERY fantastic vintage Strat and Tele...)
                            Been heavilty modified once before I got it and twice by me. Looks...interesting. Plays ok. Sounds GREAT.
                            Bought it for peanuts 25 years ago, sold it to a friend 20 years ago, bought it back 5 years ago and will never sell it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                              '76 or '77 Gibson Marauder. Gets laughed at because it has a bolt-on maple neck (you know, just like EVERY fantastic vintage Strat and Tele...)
                              Been heavilty modified once before I got it and twice by me. Looks...interesting. Plays ok. Sounds GREAT.
                              Bought it for peanuts 25 years ago, sold it to a friend 20 years ago, bought it back 5 years ago and will never sell it again.
                              I love those guitars.
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X