banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about refinishing my main Strat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about refinishing my main Strat.

The longer you play a guitar the more you start to notice certain things about it. I've noticed that the finish on my main Strat is a bit too thick and has a sort of plasticky texture to it. Here it is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190524_190145.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	5851502

As I'm sure I've mentioned before, but the body for this guitar came from the factory as an anniversary run of Aztec Gold that had been painted over with Ice Blue. The added thickness combined with just being a polyurethane finish probably contribute to the plasticky feel.

Anyway, my question to you guys is what should I do with it? When I decided on the Ice Blue I wanted to get a 50s Corvette vibe to it, but now I think I'm fine to change it. Maybe a solid color, maybe I'll strip it 100% (which will suck) and go for a translucent finish, maybe I'll go for an abstract art look. Just so long as it doesn't look tacky, cheesey, or gaudy.

Any ideas?
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: Thinking about refinishing my main Strat.

Neon pink with a black guard!
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Start scraping and see where you wind up. F*** planning.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I was thinking about a diagonal fade from Lake Placid to Ice Blue or maybe black to white, what do y'all think?

Something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190524-210535_Chrome.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	5814254

Then I'll take the cover off of the bridge pickup to reveal black.
        Last edited by Chistopher; 05-24-2019, 07:09 PM.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

Doing it yourself won't be fun. You also have no idea of what the wood looks like under there- it could have terrible grain or be 9 triangles glued together. I'd either pay someone to strip and finish it or get a Warmoth body that is already the finish you like- and sell this one.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Doing it yourself won't be fun. You also have no idea of what the wood looks like under there- it could have terrible grain or be 9 triangles glued together. I'd either pay someone to strip and finish it or get a Warmoth body that is already the finish you like- and sell this one.
            I've got connections with this guy who owns the local auto body shop and he says if I keep it fairly simple he'll do it for me know charge when he gets the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
              I was thinking about a diagonal fade from Lake Placid to Ice Blue or maybe black to white, what do y'all think?

Something like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98591[/ATTACH]

Then I'll take the cover off of the bridge pickup to reveal black.
              Neon pink to black fade?
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                Neon pink to black fade?
                Nah, I don't think this one is pointy enough for that.

I'm also thinking of switching out the A2 magnets (PGn/59Cb) with an A4 in the neck and an A8 in the bridge. I've got enough guitars on the vintage end of things right now, so I might beef this one up a bit.

Comment

Hey, sorry if I'm changing the subject of this thread a bit, but I chose the pickups for my Stratocaster based off the ones that you use, a pg neck with an AlNiCo 2 and the same magnet in the bridge 59/custom hybrid. I LOVE the neck tone that I'm getting from it, but I too was eyeing an AlNiCo 8 for the bridge pickup.

Do you think that this will still match the neck pickup? Or will I need to make changes to the neck pickup to make sure it still matches pretty close in tone and output with the bridge?

Comment

Yes Mincer is right : you need to see the grain of the wood and the number of pieces before opting for the see-through finish.
                    But don't sell you guitar number one !
                    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

About the mags. If u want to beef it up go for double thick A8 in the bridge. And if you don't want it vintage, don't use unoriented mags. A6, A5, or A9 for the neck.

Comment

You know what fixes that plasticky texture? Playing it way way more often -I kid i kid.

I don't trust guitars that look brand new and flawless -it's like their a china set your grandmother only brings out once a year. So if you refinish, make sure to play it right out of the new gross stage as fast as possible.

BTW -that Strat already looks pretty cool to me. -but I really like mint or seabreeze, shoreline mist or seafoom green on a Strat for some reason

Like these but as but as a Strat

Seafoam Green and Off White with Silver Hardware

or this off Green with Black Pickguard with Silver Hard and Off White Pickups.

Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-26-2019, 10:29 AM.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Dont do anything to it just buy more
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Looks great. Leave it be.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

forgot to mention, the other reasons for the refin are twofold: firstly, there are subtle lines where the paint isn't level that show that it's a three piece body, and there are also a few spots of damage on the wood that don't look so great. The wood is poly, so the regular wear and tear that ends up looking cool on a nitro guitar looks like crap.

Honestly, the more I think about it the more I'm considering just stripping it and refinishing it in a thinner coat of the same color in nitro. I've gotten pretty good at factory looking finishes, so we'll just see how it goes.

Oh, and Driver Blues, an A8 in my book can best be described as a louder A2 with more bass. But the one thing I forgot to consider is that it also has a more ceramic-like attack and stiffness to it. Now I'm looking at just tossing in a double or 1.5x thickness A2 in it so that it keeps the same vintage character, but with the EQ shifted down a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X