Overhaul On Charvel Model 5fx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overhaul On Charvel Model 5fx

What replacement nut would you recommend for my Charvel model 5fx? I want get rid of the LSR roller nut and replace it with a proper nut. Its in standard E tuning with D'Addairo .009-.046 strings and has the Kahler locking nut after the lsr roller nut, emg-85 bridge, sa-neck and original Floyd Rose. The guitar is extremely bright sounding and doesn't have any punch, clarity or definition to it. I was debating going to passive pickups too but I was thinking should I have the EMG 81 that was originally in the guitar when I got it put back in or has anyone tried the EMG 57 in the bridge of their Charvel model series?
    Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Re: Overhaul On Charvel Model 5fx

I would ditch the Kahler clamp and install a Floyd Rose nut of some sort. If you're looking for less brightness and more punch, put a bigger block on your Floyd. Going from your current EMG-85 to an 81 would be a step in the opposite direction IMO.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Bump
      Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
        Going from your current EMG-85 to an 81 would be a step in the opposite direction IMO.
        Agreed. Get one of the EMG active boosts instead.

What’s the rest of your rig?
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
          Agreed. Get one of the EMG active boosts instead.

What’s the rest of your rig?
          Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned)

Comment

I'll still hang on to the original EMG non-Quick Connect 81 and single coil, possibly for another guitar project, and I have the Gold Original Floyd Rose with matching Tremolo Bar, Made in Germany, that was originally on my Charvel, and I want to take out the black Original Floyd Rose and put the gold one back on the Charvel with new Floyd Rose Original Bridge Mounting Studs and Inserts. It's in good condition for it's age, the Low E and A string saddles might need to be replaced cause the Gold Finish is pretty worn off along with new Original String Lock Insert Blocks. The 85 that's in it now I know that was one of the newer quick connect ones but don't know if the connector is on there, might sell it? Any thoughts?

Comment

Any 1 5/8" nut is fine. I personally like bone, but the slot filing is much more important than the material.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                Any 1 5/8" nut is fine. I personally like bone, but the slot filing is much more important than the material.
                Sorry but I have to disagree. A Charvel/Jackson pointy head has a pretty extreme string pull angle that won't stay in tune with any sort of whammy abuse. A Floyd Rose nut is the only solution that's ever worked for me.

I have a TusqXL nut on my Model 1A, but that has a vintage style 6-bolt bridge. The conventional nut works OK for gentle vibrato use, but nothing beyond that.

Charvel/Jackson also uses a 1 11/16" nut width.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

You can disagree if you like, but that doesn't make any of what I said wrong.

Are you talking about NUTS or locking nuts? A bone nut properly slotted is as good as any TusqXL nut.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                    You can disagree if you like, but that doesn't make any of what I said wrong.

Are you talking about NUTS or locking nuts? A bone nut properly slotted is as good as any TusqXL nut.
                    That may be true, but none of it matters if the string pull angle is too sharp. I'd also challenge you to bottom out a Floyd Rose with a bone nut and have it return to pitch.

In my previous post, I was talking about tuning stability on a pointy head Charvel / Jackson while using the vibrato bar with anything except a Floyd Rose style locking nut. The TUSQ XL nut and locking tuners had the worst tuning stability, and the factory behind-the-nut clamp wasn't much better. The only solution that would dependably return to pitch with the bar fully lowered was a Floyd Rose style locking nut.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                      Sorry but I have to disagree. A Charvel/Jackson pointy head has a pretty extreme string pull angle that won't stay in tune with any sort of whammy abuse. A Floyd Rose nut is the only solution that's ever worked for me.

I have a TusqXL nut on my Model 1A, but that has a vintage style 6-bolt bridge. The conventional nut works OK for gentle vibrato use, but nothing beyond that.

Charvel/Jackson also uses a 1 11/16" nut width.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                      I found an old post from years ago on the Harmony Central form on my Charvel and at the time I measured the nut, it is 1 5/8" and that's when it still had the regular Black nut(kinda ungrooved) nut.

Comment

Working...
                      X