banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Music man owners I have a few questions.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music man owners I have a few questions.

After playing a music man like III recently my interest in their guitars has peaked. I don’t have much experience with them. As no one near me carries them. The info I’m looking for is. Which models have the biggest necks?
    And how would these guitars do for more sludgy downtuned stuff? I play a ton of different styles and the Luke seemed to cover most of them well. But when I dropped the tuning and started playing sabbath type stuff it just didn’t work.

Re: Music man owners I have a few questions.

I’d take a look at the one of the Petrucci models for down-tuned stuff. They have a variety of neck dimensions, I believe (though I’m don’t play one, so can’t speak from experience). I play a Reflex (since discontinued) and it’s easily the best guitar I own, for both build quality and playability. If you’re into the aesthetic, the Armada is definitely worth a play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Just keep in mind that if a guitar is setup in E standard and you decide to down tune it without a proper setup for that tuning, it’s not likely to play well.
      I’m not sure what you’re exact intentions are with the guitar but I’d think if you are looking for one guitar to go from E standard to drop C, you’re in for a long unfruitful search.

Comment

Yeah I know one guitar for all styles doesn’t usually work. Since I am mainly just a home player if I can get 85%-90% of the sound I am pretty happy. I don’t really play many covers. My standard tuning is down half a step. I grew up on les Paul’s and discovered over the past few years SG’s will do just about anything I do. I just want to try something different and the unfinished roasted maple neck played so well.
        I would like to have multiple guitars set up for different things. But being disabled I can barely afford 1 guitar.

Comment

If you are looking for a new one:
          MM guitars are built to order;
          They have excellent customer service folks who could answer any questions you have;
          MM forum http://forums.ernieball.com/ Has members with decades of knowledge who are more then willing to help...
          Have a very old Silhouette, thin neck, Dimarzio HSS that recommend highly for playability and broad tonal range...

Comment

I have 2 Music Mans, and they are my favorite guitars. However, I don't play the same stuff and I like tiny necks, so I am of no help here. But maybe just to say 'I dig them, too'.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I was going to ask on the Ernie ball forum. I have been a member there for a few years. But when I went to log in it said my email address was banned by the admins. I contacted them a few days ago to find out why but haven’t heard anything.

Comment

One of the best "strats" I've ever played was a MM Albert Lee model. Very comfy neck, but it was on the small and round side of things.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

love his jetsons guitar! the necks a little small for me but its a great strat. aps pups too!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    love his jetsons guitar! the necks a little small for me but its a great strat. aps pups too!
                    I took the singles out of one of my friend's Albert Lee sig. *VERY* nice pickups. They seemed a bit different than normal APS's to me, though. Is it just me, or are the poles slightly thinner. That, and the bridge pickup has what looks like a steel bar embedded into the bottom bobbin.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                      One of the best "strats" I've ever played was a MM Albert Lee model. Very comfy neck, but it was on the small and round side of things.
                      My experience, too, with the addition that I'm sure it was the best Strat style guitar I've ever touched.
                      Wackor
                      Ørdøg
                      NecroPolo
                      Diabolus in Musica
                      SIDrip Alliance
                      Book of Shadows
                      RKH

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                        I took the singles out of one of my friend's Albert Lee sig. *VERY* nice pickups. They seemed a bit different than normal APS's to me, though. Is it just me, or are the poles slightly thinner. That, and the bridge pickup has what looks like a steel bar embedded into the bottom bobbin.
                        as far as i know the neck and middle are just aps, the bridge does have the bottom plate to give it a little tele flavor

Comment

as far as i know the neck and middle are just aps, the bridge does have the bottom plate to give it a little tele flavor
                          There is also their dummy coil in there, too. The AL is one of my favorites. I will own one someday.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have the 3 singles in my MIJ 62RI. I should have taken the dummy coil, too.

As far as it being THe best strat I've played, it was very, VERY close to being the best, but I wear a XL in gloves and that neck is a wee bit too crowded for my mitts. If it was a *touch* wider, I'd have one in my stable.

Comment

Speaking of George Jetson here's another Music Man guitar that has the same vibe. I think this St. Vincent guitar sure is an intriguing and unique design. This looks like a very versatile axe for all styles of music.

;>)/
                              sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                              X