banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is advanced music theory really required at all for rock/metal guitar?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is advanced music theory really required at all for rock/metal guitar?

I am under the impression that the OP is looking for confirmation to not attempt to improve his knowledge on music theory.

If playing metal is all you want to do in your music world, the answer is NO. End of story.

Honestly I am not really sure the purpose of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
      "Is advanced music theory really required at all for rock/metal guitar?"

No.
      Simple & straightforward. I like that
      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
        Simple & straightforward. I like that
        I'm a simple guy. I use simple words
        Wackor
        Ørdøg
        NecroPolo
        Diabolus in Musica
        SIDrip Alliance
        Book of Shadows
        RKH

Comment

What's even more interesting is how the OP's signature contradicts his belief...lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
            I am under the impression that the OP is looking for confirmation to not attempt to improve his knowledge on music theory.

If playing metal is all you want to do in your music world, the answer is NO. End of story.

Honestly I am not really sure the purpose of this thread.
            The purpose is as simple as the universal answer to the question in the OP. I think Necropolo nailed it

I'm not interested in Jazz or classical & I'm not interested in learning any more than the basic theory I already know. It's not a matter of pride for me, but guess what ...it's not a matter of shame or regret either. [U]None whatsover [/U, ]so if anyone finds that tough to digest ..too bad, learn to live with it Don't see the slightest reason why what I'm interested or not interested in doing has caused indignation & butthurt to people like maestro gtrjunior up (yeah, I've heard him play too )

So yeah..just wanted to clear that up. I think we're all agreed here. The simple answer is NO

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

What's even more interesting is how the OP's signature contradicts his belief...lol.
              I'm talking guitar playing...pretty sure yngwie meant that too

And if you mean Rodney gene's quote up there..there's context to it. He said that when some other guys were taking a dig at my playing a couple years ago..(yeah, it's nothing new) "D ...and I'm pretty sure he meant 'playing' instead of 'tone' ' (cuz that was the context in which he posted the comment), but was too nice to say so..

Youtube

Comment

Oh it's not at all tough for me to digest. Like I've said a million f'n times in this forum, "being stupid is everyone's prerogative". I can't stop people from being ignorant.

Comment

“I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Well too bad you're missing the irony in that fave statement of your's , but then as you say being stupid is everyone's perogative. And the only one you can really stop being that way is yourself..so yeah, time to get going with that maybe..

Youtube

Comment

Oh it's not at all tough for me to digest. Like I've said a million f'n times in this forum, "being stupid is everyone's prerogative". I can't stop people from being ignorant.
                      Well too bad you're missing the irony in that fave statement of your's , but then as you say being stupid is everyone's perogative. And the only one you can really stop being that way is yourself..so yeah, time to get going with that maybe..

Youtube

Comment

I don't know, but in relation to Yngwie's quote, doesn't knowing less mean impeding your guitar playing?

Comment

“I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Oh don't worry about me, I don't even play metal guitar. Too stupid to even concoct a metal solo...lol.

Comment

Can't help it brother ..it's my warm heart...

Youtube

Comment

I think the above videos answer the question on whether or not theory is necessary.

Comment

Working...
                                X