Question for the guitar builders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the guitar builders.

I couldn't find the exact picture I wanted, but assume in this pic that the back and sides are black, with white binding. (And assume a solid body too.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Godin.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	5851601

What would be the sequence of construction here? I mean, how do you avoid getting the back & side paint on the cap and binding? I assume the cap would need to be glued on before you route for the binding, but I can't imagine that you'd have the back painted and polished before you started work on the top & binding.

Thanks all;
    Artie

Re: Question for the guitar builders.

Artie - not a direct answer, but this vid of Rickenbacker factory covers their approach at about 15:20 in

Subscribe to PG's Channel: http://bit.ly/SubscribePGYouTubeWin Guitar Gear: https://bit.ly/GiveawaysPG PG's Charles Saufley is On Location in Santa Ana, Cali...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I would glue everything together, rout out for the neck and pups and controls, seal coat, rout, glue-in, and trim the binding. If the back is going to be painted or stained, tape off the binding getting a good edge on the side and cover the front first. And then if the top is going to be painted or stained, tape off the binding with a good edge on the top and cover the sides (after removing the first tape you put on, obviously). Some people prefer not to tape the binding at all but to just scrape the color off of the binding after staining/painting. Even when I do a "good job" of taping off the binding, sometimes I still have to do a little touch-up scraping. Then I clear coat over everything with light level-sanding after every few coats (if using nitro).
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Typical would be that whole thing gets built first. Then the top and binding get masked off, allowing a little bit of overlap of the paint onto the binding. Then the back/sides painted. Then the tape gets scored and pulled. Then you go back and score the rough paint edge where the masking tape was pulled. You can do this using any number of homemade tools that hold the blade at a set distance from the top. Then after you have lightly scored a fresh paint edge all the way around, you go back and scrape the excess paint off with a second home-made scraper jig. Clean everything up, then clear coat the entire guitar (sans the face of the fretboard).
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I haven't finished watching that video, but at about 1:30 you can see some binding scraping going on.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            I haven't finished watching that video, but at about 1:30 you can see some binding scraping going on.
            Yup, then they show it in detail at 15:20. Lot of human work (not machine) in each Rickie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Many is the time I scraped the finish from binding... It makes more sense than masking off, doesn't leave a ridge, and in the end - takes less time. And in building or repair - time is money.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Great video. Thanks Vince. So . . . I've got my work cut out for me. But I want to give this a try.

Comment

The "ridge" is never a problem. During clear coating and level sanding it ends up perfectly smooth. But I agree that just scraping is way more time efficient.

Comment

Thanks Doc. Found another decent video. Gibson/Epiphone on this one.

Comment

Either scraping or taping will leave a ridge initially. By definition you are removing paint on a line - so it is unavoidable. But as mentioned, if you clearcoat afterwards it gets buried in the general buildup/sandback process.

All sunbursts on Gibsons and any solid colour next to binding (like a custom where binding is on back and front) will need either the mask or mask + scrape technique

Comment

Ok. Thanks Alex. I think I'm going to start by building a little box, with binding, for my wife. That way, I can kinda get my feet wet before jumping in whole hog, so to speak.

Comment

That is a great idea! It never hurts to butter up the Mrs a little and we won't tell her you did it for practice.

Comment

I love learning this kind of stuff. Thanks for posting and discussing this.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Another crazy idea I had, was to maybe build a "Bo Diddley" Gretsch. There probably doesn't exist an easier body shape to copy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gretsch_Bo-Diddley_side_65.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	5814513

With some Duncan Psyclones. Mine would need to be a bolt-on neck, 'cause that's what I have laying around.

Comment

Working...
                              X