Bridge Differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge Differences

The opportunity has come up to purchase one of two 70's era Ibanez 2350L guitars.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2350L.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	5851631

Click image for larger version

Name:	2350LwBigsby.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	5851632

I am leaning towards the Bigsby, because the guitar at least has a serial number, plus I don't have to deal with postage, ebay in general, etc.

I am just wondering what tonal differences there may be between the two and how the Bigsby may or may not detract from the guitar overall.

Thanks.

Re: Bridge Differences

If you haven't yet played them, then the differences would seem to be one has a bigsby and no pickguard, and the other has a tailpiece and a pickguard.

Until you play them then you cannot know any of the finer details that might make one stand out in the hand.

The Bigsby will only detract from the guitar if you don't like Bigsbys.

Comment

If your not planning on using alot of Bigsby sounds in your playing, I would not get the Bigsby. Its a great system for what it is, but its less reliable of an intonation platform than a fixed tuneomatic style which is as rock solid of a vintage system ever made. Also Bigsby soften the attack and feel a bit due to the Bigsby giving slight inperceptible slack out when the string is plucked , which can be good or bad, so consider that
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The Bigsby guitar will have a softer string feel due to the longer string length and the spring in the Bigsby itself. There's no problem with intonation of either, you're still dealing with the same bridge type. But the stop tail will keep that one in tune better. It's impossible to tell which will have a more desirable tone without actually playing them.

If you haven't ever played a Bigsby before don't expect it to do what a Strat trem can do. It's a different animal...great at what it does however.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I'd go Bigsby. They're a really fun trem system to use, and if set up properly stay in tune pretty well.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, guys, however I've gone ahead and put a bid on the non-Bigsby. I don't think I have the player subtlety required to use a Bigsby effectively. But you've given me something to take into consideration should I decide to get adventurous later.

Comment

Well... that lasted seconds.

Looks like Bigsby it is.

Comment

Hard tails are always a safer bet, but everyone should own a well setup Bigsby equipped guitar at least once in their lives.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                  Hard tails are always a safer bet, but everyone should own a well setup Bigsby equipped guitar at least once in their lives.
                  A service will be the first thing I do once purchased.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
                    Thanks for the responses, guys, however I've gone ahead and put a bid on the non-Bigsby. I don't think I have the player subtlety required to use a Bigsby effectively. But you've given me something to take into consideration should I decide to get adventurous later.
                    The Bigsby only does subtlety. You can be a little heavy handed and it will still sound pretty smooth. It won't be long until you find yourself adding a little shimmer to every held chord and ending.

Comment

A Bigsby is to a guitar player what a crotch is to a rapper. Once they touch it, they just can’t keep their hands off it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
                        Well... that lasted seconds.

Looks like Bigsby it is.
                        If you're buying the actual guitar pictured with the Bigsby, I see a Vibramate on there, so it would be easy to change it back to a stoptail.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                          If you're buying the actual guitar pictured with the Bigsby, I see a Vibramate on there, so it would be easy to change it back to a stoptail.
                          Good catch! I really like Bigsbys myself but I get why others don't.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                            Thanks for the heads up. Not knowing what to look for, all I see is the Bigsby. I'll definitely have to ask the guy if he has the original stop bar, because bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                              Good catch! I really like Bigsbys myself but I get why others don't.
                              I do as well, but I wouldn't want one on all of my guitars.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                              X