banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for building an amp with built-in guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for building an amp with built-in guitar?

I got bored so I decided to hack up some scrap wood and shove a 12w speaker and guitar parts into it. I was aware from the outset that all I'm likely to achieve is a feedback generator that I can take camping. So far I'm pretty close to that achievement.

So anyway I've gone with a diamond shaped hollow-body design that's 6cm deep (i'm at the mercy of the wood that I have lying around) and a cheap 13cm rectangular 12/24w max driver that sounds half decent. Testing that driver out with a regular guitar, I've already noticed how easily it feeds back from even about 2 feet away. How am I going to get this stupid thing to work when it's barely an inch away from the strings? It must be doable, because there are some fairly loud 'travel' guitars out there. I'm thinking pignose or nomad, which have their speakers directly under the strings (In this case I'm putting it parallel to the strings). There's a kickstarter guitar out there that has two 8w speakers mounted on it - but I can't speak for how well that works out.

At present I'm planning on seating it underneath the top face, but would placing it higher make any difference? Should I put a few barriers in place? Should I try using 25k pots instead of 500 or 250k? (50k pots - is THIS your time to shine?)

Also, is there anything I can do to prolong battery life? Stick something in the circuit somewhere maybe? The pre-amp is going to be a small 5-100w mono chip I found off ebay (that's 100 "Chinese" watts) running off 16850 batteries. I'm also intending on putting a delay pedal and distortion knob into it (through a step-down).

And another thing - I don't have any spare middle pick-ups lying around - can I just reverse the polarity of a neck pickup with a stronger magnet? Or maybe even magnetically shield it by running a piece of meccano out from the bottom of it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by FrankensteinsLobster; 06-11-2019, 03:42 AM.

Re: Tips for building an amp with built-in guitar?

??
    Some pics would be nice.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I feel like I'm on crazy pills. Is there a translation issue here or am I just dense.... what is the end goal??
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Um. This sounds like drugs.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          ??
          Some pics would be nice.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20190612_004425.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	5814547

A thousand pardons. Hopefully this makes more sense. I got a little overzealous with the pickup holes but I'll just put some frames over them.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
            Um. This sounds like drugs.
            Thanks

...It was more beer-fueled though, I don't really do drugs

Comment

I thought it was a fairly straight forward explanation but just to make it simpler for you goddamn potheads out there -

- how do I minimise feedback in this design
              - will using lower value pots help
              - How can I minimise any unnecessary battery drain, particularly from the pre amp
              - Can I reverse the polarity of a pickup - else is diverting the magnetic field simple enough of a task
              - I am a very stable genius and everyone will want to high five me and sleep with me when I'm done.
              - It'll buff right out

Comment

My 2-cents worth: I don't have an issue with putting an amp in a guitar, just not the cab. Do something like a CMOY headphone amp. (Google it.) Then use headphones. More or less same end result, with much more satisfying tonal results. Or any of those little low-watt class-D amp boards. (Check Parts Express.) You only need maybe 100mW's to drive good quality headphones. This way, you also won't drive people nuts in a hotel environment.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  My 2-cents worth: I don't have an issue with putting an amp in a guitar, just not the cab. Do something like a CMOY headphone amp. (Google it.) Then use headphones. More or less same end result, with much more satisfying tonal results. Or any of those little low-watt class-D amp boards. (Check Parts Express.) You only need maybe 100mW's to drive good quality headphones. This way, you also won't drive people nuts in a hotel environment.
                  Oh I don't do hotels. I camp a lot. I'm tired of playing kumbayah though, I want to up my game and really push people's buttons if anything. Just like they do with their anti-science hippie nonsense and their EDM. It's important that its loud. And besides, I already cut out the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankensteinsLobster View Post
                    I thought it was a fairly straight forward explanation but just to make it simpler for you goddamn potheads out there -

- how do I minimise feedback in this design
                    - will using lower value pots help
                    - How can I minimise any unnecessary battery drain, particularly from the pre amp
                    - Can I reverse the polarity of a pickup - else is diverting the magnetic field simple enough of a task
                    - I am a very stable genius and everyone will want to high five me and sleep with me when I'm done.
                    - It'll buff right out
                    I'll attempt to answer your questions
                    1) That can't be answered at this point with the limited amount of info available.
                    2) No
                    3) By keeping it turned off, or use a TRS output jack to attach the battery leads to so it will be disconnected when the cord is unplugged.
                    4) Yes, very simple to reverse the polarity. But why would you want to? What do you mean by "diverting the magnetic field"?
                    5) I seriously doubt it. No. Absolutely not.
                    6) What the heck are you referring to?
                    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 06-11-2019, 10:45 AM.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

What I would do is just install a headphone guitar amp into the body and then fudge around with the wiring so the one output goes to the headphone amp which would he hardwired to the speaker and another out would bypass the headphone amp and go straight into a traditional amplifier.

As for making it more efficient? I would say that if you could find a way to make it rechargeable, you wouldn't have to worry about running out of battery unless you were using it constantly for long periods of time without access to an outlet.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

There are like a dozen options for little portable 9v amps that you can plug any normal guitar into.

This whole thing is so much more trouble than it's worth.
                        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          I'll attempt to answer your questions
                          1) That can't be answered at this point with the limited amount of info available.
                          2) No
                          3) By keeping it turned off, or use a TRS output jack to attach the battery leads to so it will be disconnected when the cord is unplugged.
                          4) Yes, very simple to reverse the polarity. But why would you want to? What do you mean by "diverting the magnetic field"?
                          5) I seriously doubt it. No. Absolutely not.
                          6) What the heck are you referring to?
                          1) What Doc said.
                          2) See #1
                          3) But it's built in, why would he need to use a cable? Maybe just a switch.
                          4) Yes, and a flux capacitor?
                          5) Well, I at least need pictures to make an objective decision, unless you're a guy, then a definite no.
                          6) Most likely, I'm sure you will use nitro for the vintage appeal.

Is this our old friend LPB? It has tinges of his style.

Comment

Personally I'd have built a guitar with a built in amp, but whatever floats your boat.

Comment

Working...
                            X