New guitar question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New guitar question

OK guys, that's enough marital advice. I said I was keeping the guitar.
    Last edited by Outa_Tune; 06-26-2019, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Outa_Tune View Post
      OK guys, that's enough marital advice. I said I was keeping the guitar.
      Up to this point I have just lurked on this thread, and haven't added my two cents. But I agree with you that guitars are very personal, and it's very difficult for another person. Sort of like somebody saying I bought you a tattoo for your birthday, and they expect you to get the one they picked out. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't.

A couple years ago my daughter and her boyfriend met this guy who's a local luthier. He's known for his hand made basses, which are crazy nice instruments, that sell for pretty hefty bucks. She told him her dad plays guitar, and he said I will make him a guitar. Her, and my other kids, were going to hire this guy to make me a guitar, and give it to me for fathers day. I somehow got wise to what they were up to, but I didn't let on. The luthier told them how much it would cost, and how much he wanted up front; and my kids couldn't afford to do it. It never ended up happening.

I would have treasured a guitar that they went to the trouble to have made for me, but I never met the luthier, and had zero input into the design; so what are the odds it would have been one that I would have designed myself? Probably not good. Obviously, even if it was totally not to my liking I wouldn't be able to tell them that. I told my wife that it's probably better that it never happened, because if they spent a bunch of money on a guitar that I really didn't enjoy, but couldn't sell or trade, would be a shame.

In your case a Clapton Strat is pretty cool, and versatile. Hopefully over time you bond with it. Your wife chose a pretty cool guitar all things considered. There are many options out there, and when you think about what you could have ended up with, she did great. My buddy is a huge Gibson guy, and a few years back out of the blue his wife bought him a nice 52 Reissue Tele for Christmas. He didn't think he was going to like it, but the more he played it the more he liked it. He's kept it and said it really grew on him. Who knows, maybe your's will grow on you too.
      Last edited by mojosman; 06-27-2019, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Well, my wife didn't just pick this guitar out of the blue, she was with me last time I went to GC for strings. We went through the new guitar section and was listening when I told her what I wanted for a next guitar. I had no idea she would actually buy one for me though. Stratocaster or Telecaster, maple neck, noiseless pickups and made in America because I have never had a MIA America guitar.

She did great, I like the black, love the way it plays and it's definitely my most favorite guitar ever. I'm playing it 90% of the time I play now. It sounds awesome, only thing I've found it won't do is Zeppelin. It does Priest, Skynyrd, Sabbath, AC/DC, some ZZ Top and a few other bands I like. I've actually started to try a few Clapton songs, mostly older Crčam and older stuff with Steve Winwood.

Comment

interesting that it wont do zeppelin

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            interesting that it wont do zeppelin
            The pickups are pretty "Stratty". Unless I distort the crap out of them (why would someone do that) they have that Strat ring. To me Zeppelin is pretty hard to imitate (Duh!), too many people think Page's sound is way more distorted that it really is.

I really like the mid/bass boost thing this guitar has, goes from a super clean strat to a pretty aggressive sound that can be turned to hard rock pretty easily.

Comment

yep, i like that preamp a lot. and youre right, it is pretty stratty which seems good for a strat

Comment

Working...
              X