1988 Robert Cray Stratocaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Robert Cray Stratocaster?

I bought a Partscaster today off a fellow. He claimed the body is “from a early 90s Robert Cray USA made Stratocaster.

So I got it home, and this is what I see inside the neck:

It looks to me like it’s stamped “88”. Anyone know what all the markings are?

Re: 1988 Robert Cray Stratocaster?

Comment

I can’t read anything that looks like a date to me, but I see a bunch of holes that shouldn’t be there. Could be a legit Fender body, can’t really see enough to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        I can’t read anything that looks like a date to me, but I see a bunch of holes that shouldn’t be there. Could be a legit Fender body, can’t really see enough to tell.
        It’s definitely a legit fender body. I suspect it might be a MIM Cray and not a USA though.

Comment

I'm gonna show you a picture of a big toe
          Its definitely Tom Cruise's toe
          How old is he in the picture
          Last edited by ehdwuld; 06-21-2019, 08:40 AM.
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

MIM body. The neck pocket and barcode tell you that. Fender started using the locating hole in the neck pocket around 2003 I believe.
            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I have a first year very early production model Robert Cray Strat. It is one of my most prized guitars, one night back in the late 90's the great Ronnie Earl played it at one of his gigs and signed the back for me. It was very cool. The guitar has never sounded that good ever since, and I could never part with it.

These first early ones in the late 80's were made in the original custom shop, which was in the old factory before they moved. They had very shoddy records then, and couldn't tell me much about when mine was made. By looking at those pictures I tend to agree with the body maybe being a MIM Cray body. When I had mine apart I don't recall any bar coded inventory stickers like yours has, and the neck pocket markings were different. I'm by no means an expert though, but I think if you sent Fender Customer service some pictures they could shed some sort of light on this question.

Comment

Before I even saw the responses above I was going to suggest that it´s probably a MIM due to the 21st August neck pocket stamp in Spanish ('21 Ago').

I have very little idea of Fender markings but with both the M stamp also in the neck pocket and the serial number starting with 'M'...

Comment

Ima go ahead and call it a MIM Robert Cray body. I was pretty convinced it was based on how new the finish appeared to me, but he insisted it was USA and from the early 90s, he was wrong. He is still claiming to me it is USA.

Comment

Working...
                  X