Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treble bleed and fuzz?

Folks,

A recently purchased guitar came with a treble bleed mod installed. I noticed that the clean-up I usually get with my treble booster (Beano Boost) is very different with the new guitar vs. my others (without treble bleed mods)...as in, not really usable. I searched a bit on the forum but figured I would just ask...is this a known issue with treble bleed mods, that they may not play well with things like fuzz faces and treble boosters?

Thanks!
    Originally posted by Zhangliqun
    If I thought it would make it sound better, I'd dunk a Burst in the toilet.
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    But nowadays, everyone has to have a pedalboard that looks like the bridge of the starship enterprise to play Amazing Grace at church.

Re: Treble bleed and fuzz?

I’ve never heard that they may jive with certain gear....that may be possible but I’ve never heard that.
    I have noticed that it can cause a nasal thin sound as you roll down the volume which I personally don’t care for. I had one in a LP a while back and simply snipped it out of the circuit. Problem solved.

Comment

ive noticed treble bleeds dont work well with my sunface or treble booster so i think it may be characteristic of the simple circuits. the clean up is one reason i love those pedals

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        ive noticed treble bleeds dont work well with my sunface or treble booster so i think it may be characteristic of the simple circuits. the clean up is one reason i love those pedals
        Same with me...generally, the main time I am doing the "cleanup thing" is with the Beano Boost/Sun Lion, not with my amp alone...thinking of removing the treble bleed circuit and seeing what happens.
        But nowadays, everyone has to have a pedalboard that looks like the bridge of the starship enterprise to play Amazing Grace at church.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
          I’ve never heard that they may jive with certain gear....that may be possible but I’ve never heard that.
          I have noticed that it can cause a nasal thin sound as you roll down the volume which I personally don’t care for. I had one in a LP a while back and simply snipped it out of the circuit. Problem solved.
          +1

I hear it more as piercing than nasal, but I hate it regardless. I much prefer 50s wiring as a solution to the treble loss issue, and I like how the volume and tone knobs become more interactive. It's blasphemy for some, but I even have my Strat and Tele wired that way.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Treble bleed and fuzz?

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
            +1

I hear it more as piercing than nasal, but I hate it regardless. I much prefer 50s wiring as a solution to the treble loss issue, and I like how the volume and tone knobs become more interactive. It's blasphemy for some, but I even have my Strat and Tele wired that way.
            That’s exactly what I did with the LP. 50’s wiring all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by FAC View Post
              Folks,

A recently purchased guitar came with a treble bleed mod installed. I noticed that the clean-up I usually get with my treble booster (Beano Boost) is very different with the new guitar vs. my others (without treble bleed mods)...as in, not really usable. I searched a bit on the forum but figured I would just ask...is this a known issue with treble bleed mods, that they may not play well with things like fuzz faces and treble boosters?

Thanks!
              To clarify...with GE treble booster engaged, it does sound "normal" when the guitar volume is on 10 (but I rarely use it that way). When I roll the guitar volume down, it sounds tinny on the guitar with the treble bleed mod. On all of my other guitars, when I roll the guitar volume down, it cleans up and gives a really very nice cleanish tone that I am now missing on this new guitar.

Thanks.

Comment

My buddy had the same experience with the treble bleed we put on his
                He removed it
                And the condition remained

But just lift one leg of the bleed and see if that's what you want

I have it on some of my guitars
                Not all
                Because I'm just too lazy to do it
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by FAC View Post
                  To clarify...with GE treble booster engaged, it does sound "normal" when the guitar volume is on 10 (but I rarely use it that way). When I roll the guitar volume down, it sounds tinny on the guitar with the treble bleed mod. On all of my other guitars, when I roll the guitar volume down, it cleans up and gives a really very nice cleanish tone that I am now missing on this new guitar.

Thanks.
                  I’d just go in and snip it out. It will take more time to remove the cover than to snip it.
                  Go for it !!!

Comment

Hey ! A Beano boost question (I'd like to get one).

As a Treble Booster I suppose it's great if you are using a Tube Amp (at the practise place).
                    But how does it sound with a small solid state amp at home ?
                    ... not made for that... But then it is crappy ?

And any love for the Catalinbread Naga Viper (which, I think, does not have a Ge transistor as the Analog.Man) ?
                    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Originally posted by Francois View Post
                      Hey ! A Beano boost question (I'd like to get one).

As a Treble Booster I suppose it's great if you are using a Tube Amp (at the practise place).
                      But how does it sound with a small solid state amp at home ?
                      ... not made for that... But then it is crappy ?

And any love for the Catalinbread Naga Viper (which, I think, does not have a Ge transistor as the Analog.Man) ?
                      Not sure how it would sound into a solid state amp at home, but it works well stacked into some drive pedals and then into a clean amp, where the pedal sort of takes the place of the overdriven amp in that scenario. That is actually how I use the Beano Boost most of the time. I have had success running it into ZVEX Distortron and Greer Lightspeed...I suspect it would not do as well if the drive pedal overemphasized the mid frequencies.

Comment

treble boosts can thin things out and be pretty damn harsh into a clean amp but a drive pedal in between can make a big difference as fac says. if your little ss amp is overdriving then it might sound fine without a dirt box between. they were originally used between the guitar and a cranked tube amp to push the preamp harder, add its own bit of germanium dirt, cut the flubby bottom that many cranked tube amps exhibit

Comment

A proper treble bleed should be un-noticeable and the treble retention should sound natural, if you experiment with different cap/resistor values to find the best combination. If you just throw in a stock treble bleed, it may or may not roll off too much or not enough treble as you turn down. The people that hate treble bleeds probably just put in some stock value without experimenting to find the optimum component values.
                          Al

Comment

treble bleeds are fine in many circumstances but the interaction with these old style pedals isnt great from my experience. a germanium fuzzface for example only sounds its best with a heavy duty battery (not power supply or alkaline battery) and must be first inline after the guitar. id go further and say that it sounds best with low output bright single coils over anything else but that is more open to taste. they are cantankerous pedals, at least in some part due to the super low input impedance. that said, the issue with the treble bleed is that the extra highend you retain as you roll down the volume on the guitar reacts weirdly with these super simple circuits. im not an ee so cant explain it other than ive seen/heard it personally so many times to believe that its true

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I ended up clipping the treble bleed (which was super easy...just clipped one leg and taped it off, so it is still in there if I ever want to hook it back up). I am happy...works much better with the treble booster, and also much better with the fuzz face-like pedal. I know lots of folks like them and the circuit works for them, but I'm happy without it for my setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X