banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you sell the first guitar you ever had?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you sell the first guitar you ever had?

Imagine you bought a guitar as a kid to learn, time passes, now you have several or many guitars. You still have that first cheap guitar you learned on, maybe it's stock, or maybe you modified it to play well.

Now that you have a bunch of guitars, would you sell your first love to make room for newer/better guitars?

Also, what's the first song you learned front to back?
    Last edited by Outa_Tune; 06-21-2019, 04:54 PM.

Re: Would you sell the first guitar you ever had?

Sold my first one a long time ago, it was a pos Cort that came w a small 10w crate, one of those package deals. Never even thought about that guitar until just now.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

i did and kinda regret it but only for sentimental reasons. would i play it? nope. would it do anything but sit in the corner in a case collecting dust? nope.

Comment

I sold my first guitar ever. I didn’t start playing until my early 20’s. I bought a Squire Japanese 62 re-issue that looking back was a really nice guitar. I traded it in for a Strat plus, which had problems they couldn’t fix from day one. They ended up giving me credit towards a first year SRV signature Strat, that I still own. I love the big neck on it, but I wish it was one of the early ones that had a rosewood fretboard. Those ones are fetching really good money.

Looking back I didn’t realize how nice the Japanese Squire was. I also recently sold my first ever Les Paul because I bought a couple more Les Pauls and my wife was annoyed. I guess rather than missing what I no longer have, I can appreciate what I do have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Me personally? No. My Epi Dot is an awesome guitar and sounds amazing every time I plug it in. The frets are pretty shot though, so I'm going to try my hand at re-fretting it shortly. Assuming that goes well, it should be good to go for another 20 years.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

My first guitar was a cheap Ibanez, I gave it to my brother in law. My first decent guitar is my Epi Les Paul. Modded, upgraded and played all the time. I’ll never sell it, both for sentimental reasons and because I’d get peanuts for it at this point.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I still have mine, it's an '83 ish Squire MIJ. It's had countless pickup changes, has a Wilkinson bridge, numerous nut changes and has had the frets reshaped 3 times. It plays OK, but I'm realizing how the fret board is kinda done. I was thinking of changing it over to a HS config and getting a Warmoth neck, why? I have no idea lol.

I think it's going to become wall art, but I can't see myself ever selling it, that guitar started it all for me.

Separate question, what was the first song you ever learned front to back?

Zeppelin The Ocean for me.

Comment

walk dont run. first the rhythm while my dad played the melody, then we switched once i was good enough

Comment

First guitar I ever had was a Tanglewood star (LP copy) it was reasonable enough to learn on but got rid of it the second I could afford a Gibson (actually could get credit to buy a Gibson) which was a '74 20th anniversary LP Custom, who's frets were so low they were unplayable.

Eventually traded it for a brand new LP standard around '97/'98 which I still have to this day, I'm probably more attached to this than any other as it's the one I actually learnt to play 'properly' on, so attached I'm now seriously considering getting it recapped & refinished (at considerable expense) or trading it for a R9.

Back when I had my tanglewood I played through a korg G3 & crappy practice amp, when I saw a G3 on ebay I picked it up for old times sake, it sounded awful & cured me of nostalgically looking back & recreating old guitar & rigs for good.

I always wanted a White Falcon & managed to pick the exact one (mid 70's double cut stereo block inlays & big headstock) I wanted up relatively cheaply around 20 odd years ago, needed a neck reset & the electronics were shot, I haven't played it in 5 years but it will be the last possession I ever sell.
                  Last edited by regan; 06-21-2019, 01:33 PM.

Comment

I did. No strings attached. It was a terrible instrument.

It is different in the case of the first decent guitar. I still have it.
                    Wackor
                    Ørdøg
                    NecroPolo
                    Diabolus in Musica
                    SIDrip Alliance
                    Book of Shadows
                    RKH

Comment

I still have my kid's size classical, from when I was 9. The next guitar I got was a Strat, and I still have that, too (1982).
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I still have my first guitar, dont play it much cause it needs refretted and there is no one around me that i trust to do it, but other than that its still sweet as ever.

Many of my friends who had junk first guitars let them go, and i can see that, not all are worth keeping.
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

No, I would not.

I still have it, and it's still killer.

It's an '85 MIJ '50s reissue Strat that bears little resemblance to its original orientation. I got it used, early '90s, I think (possibly late '80s, though), with EMG SAs, a stripped/oiled neck, and a black 3-ply guard. Played it that way for many years. Eventually converted to passive '50s style pickups and a single-ply white guard. Had an anodized guard on it at some point too. A few years ago, I took it back to the EMGs, added an '80s vintage Kahler to it, and converted to black hardware. It still has the original '50s style single piece maple neck, though I replaced the truss rod. It's kind of got a Charvel vibe to it now.

Here it is in the middle of the most recent re-vamp:

Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-21-2019, 05:17 PM.
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

My first guitar was a nylon string Hohner classical. First song I remember learning was an etude by Fernando Sor.
                            I never sold it, I left it behind in Massachusetts with my best friend at the time when I moved out west. He may even still have it.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Did
                              Long ago

Strat-O-lyn acoustic with my name on the headstock in individual stickers

Every thing since then , has been one upgrade after another

I now have a dozen

Any one could find a new home at any time

They are tools, like the Crescent wrench in the toolbox
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X