Convert SSS Strat to HH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert SSS Strat to HH?

My lovely wife bought me a brand new Strat last week, it's an amazing guitar and I love it. This is my second strat, the first being my very first ever guitar, a mid 80's MIJ Squire.

I have other guitars, but I like the 7.25" (older strat) and 9" (my new one) radius, that feels comfortable to me. That said, I don't really need 2 strats that sound somewhat alike, and the old one plays nowhere near as nice as the new one.

So.....I'm thinking of making my original strat into something more useful, as it doesn't get any use now.

Here's my theory.....

Convert the body into a HH config, I can modify the routing as it's only SSS now. The HH config will let me get 2 "real" humbuckers in there. I've had a bunch of different single coil sized humbuckers in there but they just don't have that fat, compressed sound of a full humbucker. So route it to a HH, then get a new pickguard and load it with 2 HB's and wire it up. I can sell or hold onto the old pickguard in case I get the urge to change it back.

Next I would need to address the neck. I can get a brand new MIM neck from Fender for ~$200, or go with a Warmoth, or a USACG neck. My old neck needs new frets, they are low and no matter how well dressed they are, the neck takes more effort to play.

That would yield a guitar I can use to play more of the harder rock and metal stuff the other strat isn't great at.

Or I guess I can guy a used HH config strat and hang the old strat on the wall and look at it for the rest of eternity.

What do you think?

Re: Convert SSS Strat to HH?

Originally posted by Outa_Tune View Post
    My lovely wife bought me a brand new Strat last week, it's an amazing guitar and I love it. This is my second strat, the first being my very first ever guitar, a mid 80's MIJ Squire.

I have other guitars, but I like the 7.25" (older strat) and 9" (my new one) radius, that feels comfortable to me. That said, I don't really need 2 strats that sound somewhat alike, and the old one plays nowhere near as nice as the new one.

So.....I'm thinking of making my original strat into something more useful, as it doesn't get any use now.

Here's my theory.....

Convert the body into a HH config, I can modify the routing as it's only SSS now. The HH config will let me get 2 "real" humbuckers in there. I've had a bunch of different single coil sized humbuckers in there but they just don't have that fat, compressed sound of a full humbucker. So route it to a HH, then get a new pickguard and load it with 2 HB's and wire it up. I can sell or hold onto the old pickguard in case I get the urge to change it back.

Next I would need to address the neck. I can get a brand new MIM neck from Fender for ~$200, or go with a Warmoth, or a USACG neck. My old neck needs new frets, they are low and no matter how well dressed they are, the neck takes more effort to play.

That would yield a guitar I can use to play more of the harder rock and metal stuff the other strat isn't great at.

Or I guess I can guy a used HH config strat and hang the old strat on the wall and look at it for the rest of eternity.

What do you think?
    Routing the old strat should be no problem. My first strat (and also first guitar) was converted to HSH then HH and now it’s H. Make sure you use a router and do things carefully so you don’t end up with a hack job. Either way, the pick-guard will hide it.

Getting a brand new neck may be expensive, but I don’t known your budget. You can also try to get a used neck in good condition ( I did that). Either way, make sure that the neck heel/pocket match, you may also need to re-drill the neck holes. If you like your current neck (wood, shape, etc) but the frets are the only problem. Try to see how much a re-fretting would cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Comment

Thats a lot of trouble. I'd sell it cheap on EBay and get something different with what you are going to spend on a neck and new pickups for that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
        Thats a lot of trouble. I'd sell it cheap on EBay and get something different with what you are going to spend on a neck and new pickups for that one.
        Yes, this is a lot simpler, less time consuming and even cheaper. But it depends on how attached you are to that guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Comment

Here's how I went about that process:

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/an...4#post-3471561

It is worth it to do yourself, especially if you love that guitar..

BTW, what is wrong with the neck currently? Just the low frets or uneven wear? A replacement neck new will be upwards of >$350 or so, sooo going used on eBay is what I have done for my 3 Warmoth necks, each was just under $200. Another thing you could do is buy a cheap MIM standard (~$300 used) or squier (~190 used, stay away from affinity and bullet series) off craigslist and then sell off the parts you don't use..

There is a special satisfaction with modding your gear yourself.. Let us know what you do!
          Last edited by Downrazor11; 06-28-2019, 07:09 PM.

Comment

The OP is referring to a MIJ Squier from the 80s, not a more recent one.

Instead of buying a new neck from Fender for $200+, you can get a MIM neck from one of the chop shops on eBay for $150 or so. I paid $139 for the MIM Blacktop neck on my Tele because it has a small ding on the back of the headstock. Of course if you're after something very specific, your only option may be something like Warmoth or Musikraft.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Do... you not like your wife?

Comment

The guitar is special to me as it was my first. Yes I like my wife lol.

I am thinking I can sell a few things and get this one into a HH config pretty cheaply.

Comment

If you custom order a neck
                  Get stainless frets
                  You'll like them

Keisel/Carvin stills sells necks as well
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
                    Do... you not like your wife?
                    I'm assuming you've mistakenly read his modding to be concerning the new strat.

Comment

Working...
                    X