Charvel Model 5fx Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 5fx Improvements

So my Charvel when I got it a long time ago, it had an EMG-81 (Non-Quick Disconnect) in the Bridge, a Slant EMG single coil in the neck (don't know if it;s an SA or S?), a Gold Original Floyd Rose and an ungrooved nut and the behind the nut Kahler Locking Piece. From what I've researched online the guitar has a Poplar body with Maple neck-thru neck, rosewood fingerboard. I also attached a pic of the gold Original Floyd Rose that was in it.

Since then, all this was done some years ago:
    • The gold Floyd Rose Original was taken out and a black 80's Floyd Rose Original was put in (Still have gold Floyd Rose Original)
    • The ungrooved nut was replaced with a LSR roller nut
    • New Kahler locking nut installed
    • EMG-81 swapped out for an 85 (still have the 81)
    • Custom sleeves around the tremolo springs
    • Orange Drop cap installed (don't know what value?)
    • 3-way toggle switch put in - now it don't seem to be switching the pickups right

I want to do some upgrades to it as it never has stayed in tune that well and thinking of having the EMG's taken out and passive pickups installed as all my other guitars have passive pickups, I just don't gel with the actives now. It would be setup for standard E tuning and I'm thinking of going with .009 to .042 gauge nickel wound strings. Any suggestions to improve the sound/tone/playability?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Charvel1975; 06-29-2019, 12:59 PM.
    Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Re: Charvel Model 5fx Improvements

I was on EMG's website looking at their different pickups as I had not been on their site for quite some time and say the EMG 57, anyone have experience with the EMG 57?
    Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Comment

Working...
    X