Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended SG for Antiquity Humbuckers

Hi All,
    I've got a spare pair of Antiquity Humbuckers kicking around & I thought I might pick up an Gibson SG to put them in. Are there any recommendations on which models/years are good? I can't afford a vintage FYI Thanks in Advance!
    Oli

Re: Recommended SG for Antiquity Humbuckers

There is not 1 single year where you could possibly say 'every guitar was just great. Nor a year where the workers suddenly forgot how to make guitars and they were bad.
    This is one of those persistent myths with zero truth behind them.

The way you discover a great guitar is by playing it......period.

There are some great deals if you don't mind missing out on finish gloss or binding or fancy inlay. The SG specials or faded models represent the core of the SG without extra cosmetic steps.

Comment

Get a blue one
      The blue ones are better
      Not just for the blues
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
        Get a blue one
        The blue ones are better
        Not just for the blues
        Pelham Blue to be specific; accept no imitations.

If you want something good at a respectable price, an Epiphone G-400 Pro is a great SG for the price and comes in the aforementioned color, sometimes with a Maestro Vibrola if you're into that.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Holy crap. I just realized I've been doing it backwards all these years. You have it figured out. We should be picking our GUITARS to fit our PICKUPS. That is so much smarter. Gibson Standards are my favorite. They go used in good condition for around 800 pretty often. There were a few years from around 2011 til 2015 or so when there were some baked maple and layered fretboards which most people did not like. Other than that they seem to have been pretty consistent. Pickguards have changed to the smaller type, which I prefer the look of, but don't have.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
            Holy crap. I just realized I've been doing it backwards all these years. You have it figured out. We should be picking our GUITARS to fit our PICKUPS. That is so much smarter. Gibson Standards are my favorite. They go used in good condition for around 800 pretty often. There were a few years from around 2011 til 2015 or so when there were some baked maple and layered fretboards which most people did not like. Other than that they seem to have been pretty consistent. Pickguards have changed to the smaller type, which I prefer the look of, but don't have.
            Ha! First thing I thought! But really, if you are looking at guitars for Antiquities, get one with a lot of mids that can benefit from the clear, open sound of these pickups. So get out there are start playing the individual guitars.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Rather than an SG, I'd put those Ants in an Explorer. The best Explorer I've ever heard had Ants.

Bill
              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
              X