banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel San Dimas vs EVH Wolfgang Standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel San Dimas vs EVH Wolfgang Standard?

A friend and I were having a debate last night over which guitar is better. I have a '98 Peavey Wolfgang that has been my #1 for 20 years, so I was obviously partial to a Wolfgang. I've never played a Charvel, so I can't really speak from any experience there. I was curious what you guys think.

These are the 2 specific ones we were comparing.

Loaded with a pair of high-output Seymour Duncan JB pickups and a Floyd Rose trem, this Pro-Mod San Dimas is built for high-speed playing and heavy riffs.

Designed and refined by a guitar legend, this EVH Wolfie Special is dressed to kill with a baked maple fretboard and flame maple top on the basswood body.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Re: Charvel San Dimas vs EVH Wolfgang Standard?

They are two very different animals indeed, the Wolfgang will have a smaller body, an asymmetrical neck profile, a rear neck cutaway, and a few other ergonomic differences.

The big difference between the EVH Wolfgang and the Charvel (I don't know if the old Peaveys were like this, but I don't think they were) is that on the EVH the neck pickup is actually wound hotter than the bridge. This is definitely a neat trick if you tend to use the neck pickup for smooth soloing higher up the neck, but a lot of people don't like it because it doesn't work too well with their playing styles.

All in all most of the differences you will experience come down to the feel of the guitar, so if you can it would be best to try it in person.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I don't know if you can do a direct comparison, but these 2 are too different just to compare specs alone. If you had them side by side, I am sure one of them would stand out, but which one that does is more personal preference than 'better'.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I don't know if you can do a direct comparison, but these 2 are too different just to compare specs alone. If you had them side by side, I am sure one of them would stand out, but which one that does is more personal preference than 'better'.
        Unfortunately, no one in my area has the Charvels.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Comment

Funnily enough I've had both.

I own 2 Wolfys and sold my charvel. Both are tone machines, and the wolf pickups are very very good for the type of music. Better imo than the JBs or Full Shreds in the pro mods.

Both Floyd's are solid, if comparing the Peavey and the FR 1000s. I'd say the US Peaveys had slightly better QC vs the mexis, tho the mexis have better overall spec ie colors, rolled fingerboard edges.

The biggest difference for me is the neck. The Wolfy is slightly thicker, feels narrower and better for my hands, which are small/medium. The Charvel feels slightly wider (I could be wrong) but it felt like there was more space. Better for those with bigger hands, notsomuch for me.

The asymmetry of the Wolfy is awesome though. Its feels faster IMHO.
          'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
          X