EMG 57 in Charvel model series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 57 in Charvel model series

Hello everyone, I was on EMG's website looking at their different pickups as I had not been on their site for quite some time and saw the EMG 57, anyone have experience with the EMG 57 in their Charvel model series?
    Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Re: EMG 57 in Charvel model series

It's an EMG, right?

Why would anybody WANT to have experience with it?!

EMG is to pickups as solid state is to amps.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Actually the 57 gets good reviews. I still prefer Fluence for actives though.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
        It's an EMG, right?

Sorry but I have EMG 60/S/S in a Godin Exit 22 and really like them, as much as any passive pickups I have in other guitars.

Comment

It's an EMG, right?

Well, we DID have a thread about solid state amps recently, and I think the conclusion was that there are surprisingly many iconic solid state amps once they are properly accounted for, so…

Comment

Thanks for the replies I still think I'm just going to go to passive pickups on my Charvel
            Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Comment

It's an EMG, right?

A ton of people have made killer music and had killer tones with EMGs and solid state amps. Your inability to do so doesn’t make them bad.

To the OP, have you tried the 81? By all accounts, the 57 is similar but more dynamic. Most of what I’ve heard about the 57/66 is extremely positive.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                A ton of people have made killer music and had killer tones with EMGs and solid state amps. Your inability to do so doesn’t make them bad.

To the OP, have you tried the 81? By all accounts, the 57 is similar but more dynamic. Most of what I’ve heard about the 57/66 is extremely positive.
                Yes my Charvel when I received it as a gift from my parents years ago, it had the 81 in it and I still have it

Comment

Guys...you overreacted. It was supposed to be (slightly) funny.

Besides, my relationship..."EMG is to pickups as solid state is to amps" is actually pretty accurate as a non-judgemental statement. And I agree there are many really good solid state/digital amps (Roland JC-120, Flextone 3, etc.).

Yes, I know, sometimes my posts can be super critical and maybe I should tone them down a notch or two. But music is an art which requires passion, and just like Van Gough, I am full of passion about MY art.

Comment

Richie Faulkner of Judas Priest uses the 57 /66 set in his guitars. I honestly don't have experience with them but of course youtube exist with probably 5 million demos some proably with the 18 volt mod. They aslo can be easily mistaken for the EMG Het-Set James Hetfield siganture. The both have completely different sounds but one if you choose to get them might have more of your taste in it the 57 / 66 set is supossed to be an alnico 5 magnet voiced more close to a paf with more headroom. The Het-Set is I think ceramic the wording wasn't as clear magnet based of a combo of the 81 / 60 set that is spliced with a passive clarity and has alot of natural crunch. Jim Root of Slipknot had the Het-Set in his sandblasted Jaguar for a long time when they were first trying to get him to do a signature set. He changed them out though he said that they were to hot and over saturated his amps that were already very dirty. Aperently he met with James tech and he said that the he actually runs his amps fairly clean it's more the pickups that are the dirt. Jim Root switched to the Retroactive EMG's witch his siganture model is supposed to be bassed off of. They are prety cool and they have multiple styles of them as well and they have a realy cool red black bobbin combo in a similar set up to the classic zebra style.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmond_G_Baggins View Post
                      Richie Faulkner of Judas Priest uses the 57 /66 set in his guitars. I honestly don't have experience with them but of course youtube exist with probably 5 million demos some proably with the 18 volt mod. They aslo can be easily mistaken for the EMG Het-Set James Hetfield siganture. The both have completely different sounds but one if you choose to get them might have more of your taste in it the 57 / 66 set is supossed to be an alnico 5 magnet voiced more close to a paf with more headroom. The Het-Set is I think ceramic the wording wasn't as clear magnet based of a combo of the 81 / 60 set that is spliced with a passive clarity and has alot of natural crunch. Jim Root of Slipknot had the Het-Set in his sandblasted Jaguar for a long time when they were first trying to get him to do a signature set. He changed them out though he said that they were to hot and over saturated his amps that were already very dirty. Aperently he met with James tech and he said that the he actually runs his amps fairly clean it's more the pickups that are the dirt. Jim Root switched to the Retroactive EMG's witch his siganture model is supposed to be bassed off of. They are prety cool and they have multiple styles of them as well and they have a realy cool red black bobbin combo in a similar set up to the classic zebra style.
                      Just out of curiosity, what is your native language?

I totally admire foreigners who attempt to communicate in English (which I believe has to be one of the most difficult languages to learn).
                      Last edited by GuitarDoc; 11-21-2019, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what is your native language?

I totally admire foreigners who attempt to communicate in English (which I believe has to be one of the most difficult languages to learn).
                        English is quite easy compared to French!!!! Much tougher trying to understand the accent of folks from certain States in USA ;-)

Comment

It's an EMG, right?

81/60 on single cut mahogany 24.75" slay.

Comment

Guys...you overreacted. It was supposed to be (slightly) funny.

Besides, my relationship..."EMG is to pickups as solid state is to amps" is actually pretty accurate as a non-judgemental statement. And I agree there are many really good solid state/digital amps (Roland JC-120, Flextone 3, etc.).

Yes, I know, sometimes my posts can be super critical and maybe I should tone them down a notch or two. But music is an art which requires passion, and just like Van Gough, I am full of passion about MY art.

Keep the vitriol coming doc, I love it.

I used to hate EMG for no reason other than it's active, don't know why. Then I got me a Schecter with 81/ 85 and damn it sounds heavy and polished like the hood of car just out of an auto detailing shop. The only catch is I need to unplug the guitar when I go watch some TV in the middle of playing so as not to drain the battery.

Comment

American English

Comment

Working...
                              X